Scaling?

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
highlanderfil

Re: Scaling?

Postby highlanderfil » Tue May 15, 2018 12:15 pm

rowden wrote:Just now heard of this method wherein a person actually takes a scale to the store and WEIGHS the blind boxes.
Just recently a Hot Topic employee I know, told me about telling a person not to do that.
Now personally, I understand wanting to get certain minis. But, I (again personally) consider this cheating.
I mean, HELLO! BLIND BOX!
I'd like to hear about how you go about your mini hunt.
For example... Any good luck rituals? Do you just blindly (see what I did there?) grab away? Buy whole cases?
Let's hear it. :freddy2:
EDIT___I did not know of this before and just PERSONALLY FOR ME think of it as cheating. What you do is fine
I scale and I will continue to scale, until such time that Funko makes all figures of equal weights and odds. I don't need an army of the (absolutely worthless) Harry Potter hatted trio in my quest for exclusives, thanks.

highlanderfil

Postby highlanderfil » Tue May 15, 2018 12:16 pm

kyten wrote:I know someone who was told at a Hot Topic recently (this weekend) that he was not allow to scale and it was against corporate policy. Not sure if that's true or maybe it depends on which one you visit. I don't mind it, personally. When you collect a lot of these and you get a lot of dupes it can become frustrating!
I've been told this, as well. It has not been confirmed by Hot Topic corporate. Seems that some stores are going rogue.

highlanderfil

Postby highlanderfil » Tue May 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Mystery_Mini_God wrote: If the intent is to complete your sets because you actually collect, then great. If your intent is to go through all cases to profit, then meh.
What if your intent is to stock up on exclusives because you know the next set you'll end up collecting will have its own Yule Ball Hermione or Buckbeak which command exorbitant prices on eBay and you'll need leverage? That's the mode I'm in right now, looking for any and all exclusives ahead of the HP S3 release.

magicalme

Re: Please Add Weighted Decoys!!

Postby magicalme » Tue May 15, 2018 12:38 pm

Cephus wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:I agree profb, when people stop buying that is when they will need to evaluate. I think people weighing them is a whole lot better than the other option of finding them opened in the store.

Oh, I don't know. We were in a Gamestop over the weekend and they had a ton of Mystery Minis in their clearance section that were all opened. So we went through and found all of the ones we needed and bought them.

I actually know of a GameStop that will open up the last boxes of mystery minis in a set ao customers don’t have to guess and can just buy what they want lol
Follow me on Instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/funkofied

CURRENT TOP POP WANTS:
The Walking Dead: 9" Bloody Daryl Toy Tokyo or Gemini exclusive and Chris Hardwick

ImageImage

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 pm

magicalme wrote:
Cephus wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:I agree profb, when people stop buying that is when they will need to evaluate. I think people weighing them is a whole lot better than the other option of finding them opened in the store.

Oh, I don't know. We were in a Gamestop over the weekend and they had a ton of Mystery Minis in their clearance section that were all opened. So we went through and found all of the ones we needed and bought them.

I actually know of a GameStop that will open up the last boxes of mystery minis in a set ao customers don’t have to guess and can just buy what they want lol

I would love it if my GameStop adopted this practice.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:
magicalme wrote:
Cephus wrote:

I,have been to a few that do,this practice.. I have gotten a few goodies minis also. \:D/
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.
ISO~ Flocked Lotso. And a Bobs big boy pop.

Pops and Dorbz -1750~~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-1 Dug with cone that's it just 1 Super awesome proto for me.

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Tue May 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Shalee04 wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:
magicalme wrote:

I,have been to a few that do,this practice.. I have gotten a few goodies minis also. \:D/

My stores are locked down pretty good by other collectors. Unless it’s a preorder I usually don’t make them a constant stop.

Mystery_Mini_God

Postby Mystery_Mini_God » Tue May 15, 2018 6:10 pm

highlanderfil wrote:
Mystery_Mini_God wrote: If the intent is to complete your sets because you actually collect, then great. If your intent is to go through all cases to profit, then meh.
What if your intent is to stock up on exclusives because you know the next set you'll end up collecting will have its own Yule Ball Hermione or Buckbeak which command exorbitant prices on eBay and you'll need leverage? That's the mode I'm in right now, looking for any and all exclusives ahead of the HP S3 release.

I know folks who do that also. Maybe don’t clear the city with your scale? Maybe help some local collectors? It’s good karm.
Minis: 1,769 (no doubles)
Sets completed: 100
Complete on all sets achieved on February 24th, 2018.
#TheyAllComeHome

Instagram: Os_the_mystery_mini_hunter

YouTube: Mystery Mini God Os

Find assistance at my FB group @ Funko Mystery Minis Hunt: Buy & Sale/Trade/Chat

Come on in... You’ll love us! :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FunkoMiniHunt/

highlanderfil

Postby highlanderfil » Tue May 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Mystery_Mini_God wrote:I know folks who do that also. Maybe don’t clear the city with your scale? Maybe help some local collectors? It’s good karm.

Given how much stuff I've given away and sold at cost, I've got karma up the wazoo at this point. In fairness, I've also received Trevor (my last missing piece) for just a promise of trying to find Buckbeak or PoA Dumbledore. Lucky for the guy I can't bear to be in someone's debt, so he got his Dumbledore fairly quickly after I raided every Meijer in the area for a Selkie to use in trade. My area (Metro Detroit + Ann Arbor) is too vast for any one person to have full control over it, anyways.

But I did get lucky today with a Neville and a Pygmy Puff. Going to sit on them until they can be used as bargaining chips. Too bad my Meijers no longer restock...

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:09 pm

highlanderfil wrote:

There are some in the FB mini group, who do just this. They say they are there to help, but have no issues bragging and showing pix of all the rare extras they have, but won't trade them, and when they do they want the same top 10 most expensive minis only... so,it's super frustrating.

Minis-450+

Sam25

Postby Sam25 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 pm

I just want the ones I want. I don’t think anyone should get stuck with a bunch of duplicates. I love the scale but it is not billet proof. I still make mistakes. I make a lot less now with the scale. Funko creates the problem. Easily eliminated with all boxes 1/12 or windowed boxes so you know what you are getting. Funko loves the chaos.

Mystery_Mini_God

Postby Mystery_Mini_God » Tue May 15, 2018 11:56 pm

Shalee04 wrote:
highlanderfil wrote:

There are some in the FB mini group, who do just this. They say they are there to help, but have no issues bragging and showing pix of all the rare extras they have, but won't trade them, and when they do they want the same top 10 most expensive minis only... so,it's super frustrating.

Sounds like you are talking about me... if so, and you’ve been in our group long enough you’d know that I’m far from bragging. I have all minis aside from two or three sets which just released. I don’t need to trade a retired mini for something I’ll find in a few days. If I have a retired mini, I’ll trade it for a retired mini. The brand new mini hype is not my thing. Do I help, more than anyone knows. If not me, then not sure who who is posting rares like that.
#TheyAllComeHome

Find assistance at my FB group @ Funko Mystery Minis Hunt: Buy & Sale/Trade/Chat

Mystery_Mini_God

Postby Mystery_Mini_God » Tue May 15, 2018 11:57 pm

highlanderfil wrote:
Mystery_Mini_God wrote:I know folks who do that also. Maybe don’t clear the city with your scale? Maybe help some local collectors? It’s good karm.

Given how much stuff I've given away and sold at cost, I've got karma up the wazoo at this point. In fairness, I've also received Trevor (my last missing piece) for just a promise of trying to find Buckbeak or PoA Dumbledore. Lucky for the guy I can't bear to be in someone's debt, so he got his Dumbledore fairly quickly after I raided every Meijer in the area for a Selkie to use in trade. My area (Metro Detroit + Ann Arbor) is too vast for any one person to have full control over it, anyways.

But I did get lucky today with a Neville and a Pygmy Puff. Going to sit on them until they can be used as bargaining chips. Too bad my Meijers no longer restock...

Very nice. I miss going to Meijers! Lol
#TheyAllComeHome

highlanderfil

Postby highlanderfil » Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 am

Sam25 wrote:I just want the ones I want. I don’t think anyone should get stuck with a bunch of duplicates. I love the scale but it is not billet proof. I still make mistakes. I make a lot less now with the scale. Funko creates the problem. Easily eliminated with all boxes 1/12 or windowed boxes so you know what you are getting. Funko loves the chaos.
Windowed boxes defeat the purpose of the mini hunt, though. I'm all for mitigating risks with scales, but there's got to be at least a little element of surprise.

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:45 am

highlanderfil wrote:
Sam25 wrote:I just want the ones I want. I don’t think anyone should get stuck with a bunch of duplicates. I love the scale but it is not billet proof. I still make mistakes. I make a lot less now with the scale. Funko creates the problem. Easily eliminated with all boxes 1/12 or windowed boxes so you know what you are getting. Funko loves the chaos.
Windowed boxes defeat the purpose of the mini hunt, though. I'm all for mitigating risks with scales, but there's got to be at least a little element of surprise.

There is still some surprise for people. I bet they are surprised when they open a box thinking they have pulled that 1/72 only to find their scale was off and they have themselves another 1/6 Ebony Maw. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 pm

If collecting is a competitive sport, put me in the tee ball league where I play for fun and don't have to worry about steroids, spit balls and sign stealing. It's sounds more fun that way.
2012 Rookie of the Year

allcutethings2

Postby allcutethings2 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm

I collect things I love, things I plan to keep - not just things I kinda sorta like, that I'd be okay having. For me, scaling helps me do that.
Rachel

ISO HT Captain America mini, Porg Minis

Pops: 335
Dorbz: 141
Mystery Minis: 336
PSH: 122
Rock Candy: 8
Hikari: 19

Instagram: @allcutethings2

Sam25

Postby Sam25 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:
highlanderfil wrote:

There is still some surprise for people. I bet they are surprised when they open a box thinking they have pulled that 1/72 only to find their scale was off and they have themselves another 1/6 Ebony Maw. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Exactly. Infinity War was the worst one I have tried to get. The scale works but definitely not 100%.

babasdada

Postby babasdada » Wed May 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Jango_Fresh wrote:If collecting is a competitive sport, put me in the tee ball league where I play for fun and don't have to worry about steroids, spit balls and sign stealing. It's sounds more fun that way.

Pocket Scale

Join the dark side! :SW7:
Joe from NYC
IG / youtube Babakittysdada
ATTENDEE of FUNDAYS 15,16,17 and soon 2018!
My main collection consists of:
Lord of the Ring|Game of thrones|Harry Potter|Horror|Star Wars|Some DC

CaseyJones14
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:24 pm

babasdada wrote:
Jango_Fresh wrote:If collecting is a competitive sport, put me in the tee ball league where I play for fun and don't have to worry about steroids, spit balls and sign stealing. It's sounds more fun that way.

Pocket Scale

You forgot to add the calibration weight :D
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:
babasdada wrote:

Pocket Scale

Pass, I will stay on play for fun side of collecting :cheers:
2012 Rookie of the Year

babasdada

Postby babasdada » Wed May 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Jango_Fresh wrote:
CaseyJones14 wrote:
babasdada wrote:
Pocket Scale

do you collect mystery minis?
Joe from NYC
IG / youtube Babakittysdada
ATTENDEE of FUNDAYS 15,16,17 and soon 2018!
My main collection consists of:
Lord of the Ring|Game of thrones|Harry Potter|Horror|Star Wars|Some DC

Martian1314

Postby Martian1314 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:59 pm

Does everyone bring scale with them just curious ?

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Wed May 16, 2018 6:32 pm

babasdada wrote:
Jango_Fresh wrote:
CaseyJones14 wrote:

Yes I collect them, but I will no longer buy from a case that is missing a box.
2012 Rookie of the Year

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Jango_Fresh wrote:
CaseyJones14 wrote:
babasdada wrote:
Pocket Scale

I don’t know Jango, spit balls seem kind of dirty on any level in any sport. lol

RobinBear177

Postby RobinBear177 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:49 pm

I don't see anything wrong with using scales. I personally don't but gotta get the advantage with such crappy ratios.

ShyGuyPal

Postby ShyGuyPal » Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 pm

I changed my mind on scales recently. I thought they were goofy and possibly unethical. What changed my mind was the change to worse ratio distributions, and how it isnt always a 100% given. It helps, but isnt always reliable. My experience with the FNaF S3 and KH made me realize some make it hard to tell, even if you weigh it correctly. Also I imagined them like kitchen scales, but the small pocket scales like pointed out in this thread arent cumbersome at all. Its pretty easy to carry!

I started using them as a third check before buying MM for now on (check case layout, shake for weight distribution, now weigh them for confirmation). It is only questionably unethical to me if you buy them just to scalp them, only becauase they're rare, or only as trade fodder (unless you have a person to trade with in mind already). I understand opinions on it being considered cheating or no fun though.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16, NIV

Feel free to stop by my blog at https://tinytoyshelf.blogspot.com/!

fxrave

Postby fxrave » Wed May 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Sorry in advance for the insolent tone, but ...

Welcome to capitalism.

If you don't like scalers and layout hounds, get to the store first and buy the whole box before it's cherry-picked.

If you don't like flippers, never pay more than $7 for a mini on eBay.

It's not like people are stockpiling medication so they can extort sick people. These are toys! As for suggestions that Funko take steps to thwart this type of behavior, why would they do that when they are making money hand over fist? I wouldn't be surprised if they have done the research and found that a HUGE market for their products is people who think they are "outsmarting the system."

All that said, Funko makes awesome products and I'll continue to buy the ones I like, in any legal manner I like.

Laissez-faire!

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 pm

Scaling at this point is just part of the collecting in my mind for minis

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Popfanatics

Postby Popfanatics » Thu May 17, 2018 1:20 am

Sam25 wrote:
Exactly. Infinity War was the worst one I have tried to get. The scale works but definitely not 100%.

Worst for me has to The last Jedi. I ended up with so many Phasmas and bb8’s...and still not completed :wwe11:
Hi from Lynda (popfanatics on instagram)

w00kiee77

Postby w00kiee77 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 pm

I was ok doing it without a scale until HP S2... So many dupes and so many 1/6 ratios... Funko have brought this on themselves and they have it in their power to fix it, but are only taking steps to work around collectors who are just sick of all the 4x 1/6s like the different internal wrappers...

fxrave wrote:As for suggestions that Funko take steps to thwart this type of behavior, why would they do that when they are making money hand over fist?

Because they are, and because they like to keep making all the monies still... If they persist with the 4x 1/6 and super rare exclusives rubbish, it will come back to bite them in the arse and of course they will have all the excuses except for accepting the blame themselves...

case

Postby case » Fri May 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Jango_Fresh wrote:
babasdada wrote:
Jango_Fresh wrote:

Remember that one time I told you I came across what looked like a new case of Horror Classics? Bought a bunch and ended up with a gang of Sharks and Elviras! Apparently, the case was consolidated from all the other cases that got cherry picked. Which is usually why I will just buy cases or go to ebay if needed to complete. I can always trade or giveaway the dupes.
Steven
IG: funkoverse
ISO: Overwatch, World of Warcraft.and Saga protos
ImageImageImage

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Fri May 18, 2018 10:42 pm

case wrote:
Jango_Fresh wrote:
babasdada wrote:

Remember that one time I told you I came across what looked like a new case of Horror Classics? Bought a bunch and ended up with a gang of Sharks and Elviras! Apparently, the case was consolidated from all the other cases that got cherry picked. Which is usually why I will just buy cases or go to ebay if needed to complete. I can always trade or giveaway the dupes.

Damn I'm sorry to hear about that. I wasn't too happy with their 1/6 ratio on Elvira,Bruce and wolfman...It was total BS. Sadly I just bought a freshly opened box but not happy to find doubles of those three. That was when they were first released. I've learned since then...I hope for a Wave 4 soon tho

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:26 am

The 1/4's and 1/6's are the reason I have stopped right now. I used to buy a case to start each series, but when I am getting so my doubles rig off the get go, that sucks big time.

Minis-450+

Katers

Postby Katers » Sun May 20, 2018 3:21 am

Shalee04 wrote:The 1/4's and 1/6's are the reason I have stopped right now. I used to buy a case to start each series, but when I am getting so my doubles rig off the get go, that sucks big time.

The 1/6s are really getting out of hand with recent sets, and it's very frustrating. Even having a scale doesn't help with a lot of these - weights are too close, you get weird variations when it should be a 1/24, and it's STILL a 1/6.

None of us want an army of duplicates, especially the lower ratios that no one will ever need to trade or buy! I see nothing wrong with attempting to avoid that. And it's still better than the horrible people that flat out rip open boxes and bags in store to grab the higher ratio minis!

Classier

Postby Classier » Sun May 20, 2018 10:08 am

I’ve never really considered weighing Minis until recently with the Deadpool set. Funko’s somewhat encouraging weighing by making the same 4 figures take up the majority of a case in every series. If they kept to 1/12 for everything, with maybe the occasional 1/24 or something it’d be okay. Not everybody can afford to buy the same 4 Minis over and over and over just to get the ones they’d like.

Sam25

Postby Sam25 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Popfanatics wrote:
Sam25 wrote:

Worst for me has to The last Jedi. I ended up with so many Phasmas and bb8’s...and still not completed :wwe11:

Yeah that one was tough. I ended up getting all the ones I wanted from that line. I traded a few good ones to finish it up.

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Thu May 24, 2018 11:47 pm

Bobblheads seem to be all over the place

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

Return to “Blind Bags”