Questions about hikari

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
CashMeOusside

Questions about hikari

Postby CashMeOusside » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:46 pm

So I saw these Hikari figures and was wondering what they actually are. Almost all I have seen are limited to x pieces. Are they from the same material as pops and dorbz? What makes them so special and expensive?

Also because theyre quite limited in numbers, will they raise in value over time?

misterjstewart

Re: Questions about hikari

Postby misterjstewart » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Hikari are soft vinyl figures (sofubi) and are bigger than a Pop figure. They are Funko's take on the Japanese vinyl market (think Kaiju/Godzilla) There are usually several different colorways (different paint/vinyl colors) of the same sculpt. The reason they are more expensive is that the manufacturing process is more involved and they are more expensive to make. While they are limited, this doesn't make them more valuable. Most sell for less than retail after a few months and only the truly limited ones (less than 100?) go up in value. I think Funko was trying their hand at the sofubi market to capture some of that market. Not sure they were very successful there.

That being said, Hikari are one of my favorite Funko lines. I don't mind the cost and I hope they come out with more. I especially like the Japanese animation (Astro Boy and Gigantor) and Universal Monster ones. Funko hit it out of the park with those, IMHO.
--------------8< SNIP >8------------------
Her: "How many of those things are you gonna buy?"
Me: "All of them."

Call me James.
IG: @misterjstewart (toys and life); @monkeyshinesSF (resin arts)
Los Spastikos Fantastikos

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 am

Usually if you wait a few months after the release of one, you can find out for less than retail. That's been my experience.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

randig

Postby randig » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:43 am

It is a fun word to say, SOFUBI!

Hopefully you can google "Hikari Process of Making" and see if it pops up, very interesting
ImageImageImageImageImage

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:35 pm

I just can not take anyone with the handle "CashMeOusside" seriously. lol Nothing personal...
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, VYNL fiend and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

CashMeOusside

Postby CashMeOusside » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks for the answers all

mohawkjones wrote:I just can not take anyone with the handle "CashMeOusside" seriously. lol Nothing personal...

Haha. :p Well this is a forum about funko so why being serious? ^^ I was surprised the name wasnt taken already after the meme got milked like heck...

OUTSIDER31

Postby OUTSIDER31 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:43 pm

No more sdcc exclusives

swind15

Postby swind15 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:08 pm

Soft vinyl. Hand painted. Small edition sizes.
Pop!: Lost count
Mystery mini: Lost count
Dorbz: Lost count
Hikari: 19
Vynl: 7
Retro Freddy Funko: 2
Action Figures: 2
Wacky Wobbler: 2
Reaction: 2
Fabrications: 1

Original Fun Klub member# 14057

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:58 am

misterjstewart wrote:Hikari are soft vinyl figures (sofubi) and are bigger than a Pop figure. They are Funko's take on the Japanese vinyl market (think Kaiju/Godzilla) There are usually several different colorways (different paint/vinyl colors) of the same sculpt. The reason they are more expensive is that the manufacturing process is more involved and they are more expensive to make. While they are limited, this doesn't make them more valuable. Most sell for less than retail after a few months and only the truly limited ones (less than 100?) go up in value. I think Funko was trying their hand at the sofubi market to capture some of that market. Not sure they were very successful there.

That being said, Hikari are one of my favorite Funko lines. I don't mind the cost and I hope they come out with more. I especially like the Japanese animation (Astro Boy and Gigantor) and Universal Monster ones. Funko hit it out of the park with those, IMHO.

Love the post, great overview on hikari line, iam a fan definitely unique I like them and i like that they are exploring smaller versions
:freddy3:

KidMarvel

Postby KidMarvel » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:08 pm

I love that thanks to Hikaris I have a couple of Captain America figures that are insanely colored!
Name: Randall
Collector of Pops, Dorbz, Minis, PSH, Hikaris and Vynl

IG: www.instagram.com/funkoforeveryone/
"A story behind every figure"
There's always room for more Disney Magic and Marvel Adventure
ImageImageImage

DubJay81

Postby DubJay81 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Nice I’m glad I came across this thread. Was looking at this line and found them to be amazing. At first I thought they were some type of glass. I want to collect the Voltron Hikaris line. The Ninja Turtles line is fire as well. Thanks for the info.
You can reach me here...
Via IG: DubJay81
Via email: DubJay81@gmail
Keep Spreading that FUNKO love... :freddy1:

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:22 am

DubJay81 wrote:Nice I’m glad I came across this thread. Was looking at this line and found them to be amazing. At first I thought they were some type of glass. I want to collect the Voltron Hikaris line. The Ninja Turtles line is fire as well. Thanks for the info.

Did you end up getting anything? The Voltrons are really cool.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

DubJay81

Postby DubJay81 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:13 am

jagpop wrote:
DubJay81 wrote:Nice I’m glad I came across this thread. Was looking at this line and found them to be amazing. At first I thought they were some type of glass. I want to collect the Voltron Hikaris line. The Ninja Turtles line is fire as well. Thanks for the info.

Did you end up getting anything? The Voltrons are really cool.

Actually just was looking around and found them on EBay and Gemini Collectables and there there for under retail. So gonna grab the Normal Voltron and The Ruby Red on to start. I’ll come back for the other 3 there seem to be. But all in all a nice set. Has been a crazy week with wlrknand with SDCC going on I have people over there Pop Hunting for me lol. Gets crazy.
You can reach me here...
Via IG: DubJay81
Via email: DubJay81@gmail
Keep Spreading that FUNKO love... :freddy1:

KidMarvel

Postby KidMarvel » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:16 pm

I love the designs and craft that goes behind the makings of Sofubi. Started into Hikaris just because of that!
Name: Randall
Collector of Pops, Dorbz, Minis, PSH, Hikaris and Vynl

IG: www.instagram.com/funkoforeveryone/
"A story behind every figure"
There's always room for more Disney Magic and Marvel Adventure
ImageImageImage

Return to “Hikari”