Numbers

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
fujii-monster
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Numbers

Postby fujii-monster » Wed May 15, 2019 7:02 pm

Please pardon the newbie question, but will someone explain the series of different numbers on my Hikari figures? There is one # on the foot and another, different # on the box, although they both have a FM prefix. Also, the two figures that I recently purchased have a card taped to the inside of the box which I assume should have the individual figure # (_ out of 500), but instead have A/P printed on them. Any info would be much appreciated!

User avatar
renardchua
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:21 am
Location: Manila, Philippines
Contact:

Re: Numbers

Postby renardchua » Wed May 15, 2019 10:27 pm

AFAIK, A/P means Artist Proof.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
IG: renardchua

User avatar
mohawkjones
Posts: 2418
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Reno, NV
Contact:

Re: Numbers

Postby mohawkjones » Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 pm

fujii-monster wrote:Please pardon the newbie question, but will someone explain the series of different numbers on my Hikari figures? There is one # on the foot and another, different # on the box, although they both have a FM prefix. Also, the two figures that I recently purchased have a card taped to the inside of the box which I assume should have the individual figure # (_ out of 500), but instead have A/P printed on them. Any info would be much appreciated!


renardchua wrote:AFAIK, A/P means Artist Proof.


The foot stamps and box stamps are related to the production run/date. Especially with Hikari, those do not always match up. I assume since the boxes are generic in the sense that they are character specific but not specific to the particular color way that they are all printed at once and then stickered for the LE of that color way.

A/P is artist proof. Traditionally AP runs are reserved for the first production batch to match sure it matches the color master/licensor approval. Mindstyle was pretty liberal with their /P production numbers. I have about 8 or 9 AP's, since they are only marked by the card in the sealed box you never know you have one until you open it.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, VYNL fiend and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057
Image

User avatar
renardchua
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:21 am
Location: Manila, Philippines
Contact:

Re: Numbers

Postby renardchua » Wed May 15, 2019 11:29 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
fujii-monster wrote:Please pardon the newbie question, but will someone explain the series of different numbers on my Hikari figures? There is one # on the foot and another, different # on the box, although they both have a FM prefix. Also, the two figures that I recently purchased have a card taped to the inside of the box which I assume should have the individual figure # (_ out of 500), but instead have A/P printed on them. Any info would be much appreciated!


renardchua wrote:AFAIK, A/P means Artist Proof.


The foot stamps and box stamps are related to the production run/date. Especially with Hikari, those do not always match up. I assume since the boxes are generic in the sense that they are character specific but not specific to the particular color way that they are all printed at once and then stickered for the LE of that color way.

A/P is artist proof. Traditionally AP runs are reserved for the first production batch to match sure it matches the color master/licensor approval. Mindstyle was pretty liberal with their /P production numbers. I have about 8 or 9 AP's, since they are only marked by the card in the sealed box you never know you have one until you open it.


Thanks for this information! Really appreaciate it. I own one Hikari as well that is also A/P.
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
IG: renardchua

User avatar
dork_knight
Posts: 2029
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 4:58 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Numbers

Postby dork_knight » Thu May 16, 2019 12:49 am

renardchua wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:
fujii-monster wrote:Please pardon the newbie question, but will someone explain the series of different numbers on my Hikari figures? There is one # on the foot and another, different # on the box, although they both have a FM prefix. Also, the two figures that I recently purchased have a card taped to the inside of the box which I assume should have the individual figure # (_ out of 500), but instead have A/P printed on them. Any info would be much appreciated!


renardchua wrote:AFAIK, A/P means Artist Proof.


The foot stamps and box stamps are related to the production run/date. Especially with Hikari, those do not always match up. I assume since the boxes are generic in the sense that they are character specific but not specific to the particular color way that they are all printed at once and then stickered for the LE of that color way.

A/P is artist proof. Traditionally AP runs are reserved for the first production batch to match sure it matches the color master/licensor approval. Mindstyle was pretty liberal with their /P production numbers. I have about 8 or 9 AP's, since they are only marked by the card in the sealed box you never know you have one until you open it.


Thanks for this information! Really appreaciate it. I own one Hikari as well that is also A/P.


Interesting I’ll need to see if mine is AP too. I only have one hikari. Optimus Prime
Image

Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:2,058 (I've embraced the dark side)
Grail Goals: Sex Bob-Omb 3-Pack | Upside Down Freddy | Dustin Freddy
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 460 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

fujii-monster
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby fujii-monster » Thu May 16, 2019 1:02 am

Thanks for the info, it was most helpful.

User avatar
mongoose12
Posts: 3069
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby mongoose12 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 am

i learned about this not too long ago. when i checked my hikari i saw that 2 of them were A/P! pretty cool.
"i need more merch..." - unknown :eek:

3rd Place in 2019 Rookie Custom Contest

User avatar
mohawkjones
Posts: 2418
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Reno, NV
Contact:

Re: Numbers

Postby mohawkjones » Thu May 16, 2019 12:13 pm

chucklora wrote:i learned about this not too long ago. when i checked my hikari i saw that 2 of them were A/P! pretty cool.


I should have known that the merch king would have an A/P or two in the house! ;-)
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, VYNL fiend and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057
Image

User avatar
mongoose12
Posts: 3069
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby mongoose12 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:02 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
chucklora wrote:i learned about this not too long ago. when i checked my hikari i saw that 2 of them were A/P! pretty cool.


I should have known that the merch king would have an A/P or two in the house! ;-)


merch king? me? no way jose...wrong guy [-X :-k [-( :D
"i need more merch..." - unknown :eek:

3rd Place in 2019 Rookie Custom Contest

The1one1
Posts: 637
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:07 am
Location: Kaneohe, hawaii
Contact:

Re: Numbers

Postby The1one1 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:25 pm

chucklora wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:
chucklora wrote:i learned about this not too long ago. when i checked my hikari i saw that 2 of them were A/P! pretty cool.


I should have known that the merch king would have an A/P or two in the house! ;-)


merch king? me? no way jose...wrong guy [-X :-k [-( :D


I swear I wish I had this kind of luck. To just randomly have two a/p hikari and not know it lol.
Aloha! Call me Cliffy!
IG: The1one1

Image Image
Image Image

User avatar
mongoose12
Posts: 3069
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby mongoose12 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:33 pm

The1one1 wrote:
chucklora wrote:
mohawkjones wrote:
I should have known that the merch king would have an A/P or two in the house! ;-)


merch king? me? no way jose...wrong guy [-X :-k [-( :D


I swear I wish I had this kind of luck. To just randomly have two a/p hikari and not know it lol.


Yeah dude...2 sweet pieces too. Sunrise Batman and eccc hulk
"i need more merch..." - unknown :eek:

3rd Place in 2019 Rookie Custom Contest

The1one1
Posts: 637
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:07 am
Location: Kaneohe, hawaii
Contact:

Re: Numbers

Postby The1one1 » Sun May 19, 2019 3:19 am

chucklora wrote:
The1one1 wrote:
chucklora wrote:
merch king? me? no way jose...wrong guy [-X :-k [-( :D


I swear I wish I had this kind of luck. To just randomly have two a/p hikari and not know it lol.


Yeah dude...2 sweet pieces too. Sunrise Batman and eccc hulk


Noice!!! Sunrise Bats!!
Aloha! Call me Cliffy!
IG: The1one1

Image Image
Image Image

Markn12
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Numbers

Postby Markn12 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Are APs more desirable than the numbered set? Seems like I have seen people arguing both ways

User avatar
mongoose12
Posts: 3069
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby mongoose12 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Markn12 wrote:Are APs more desirable than the numbered set? Seems like I have seen people arguing both ways


It could depend on the collector. I've never considered a piece more valuable because it's an AP... cooler yes but that's about it.
"i need more merch..." - unknown :eek:

3rd Place in 2019 Rookie Custom Contest

Markn12
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Numbers

Postby Markn12 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:11 pm

mongoose12 wrote:
Markn12 wrote:Are APs more desirable than the numbered set? Seems like I have seen people arguing both ways


It could depend on the collector. I've never considered a piece more valuable because it's an AP... cooler yes but that's about it.


Yeah, that’s where I am at with Funko APs. Cooler to have a small subset within an already limited set.

User avatar
mohawkjones
Posts: 2418
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Reno, NV
Contact:

Re: Numbers

Postby mohawkjones » Wed May 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Markn12 wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:
Markn12 wrote:Are APs more desirable than the numbered set? Seems like I have seen people arguing both ways


It could depend on the collector. I've never considered a piece more valuable because it's an AP... cooler yes but that's about it.


Yeah, that’s where I am at with Funko APs. Cooler to have a small subset within an already limited set.


To each their own I would say. You never know if you have one or not until you break the seal and - shudder - open it up :eek:

For me it's usually just a happy surprise when I find an A/P card with my Hikari.

In the statue world AP editions are often sold at a slight premium and sought after since they are usually signed by the sculptor or include something extra like a print.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, VYNL fiend and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057
Image

User avatar
mongoose12
Posts: 3069
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Re: Numbers

Postby mongoose12 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:29 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
Markn12 wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:
It could depend on the collector. I've never considered a piece more valuable because it's an AP... cooler yes but that's about it.


Yeah, that’s where I am at with Funko APs. Cooler to have a small subset within an already limited set.


To each their own I would say. You never know if you have one or not until you break the seal and - shudder - open it up :eek:

For me it's usually just a happy surprise when I find an A/P card with my Hikari.

In the statue world AP editions are often sold at a slight premium and sought after since they are usually signed by the sculptor or include something extra like a print.


Wait a minute, not opening a hikari box and checking is a thing? It's literally the first thing I do when I get one lol
"i need more merch..." - unknown :eek:

3rd Place in 2019 Rookie Custom Contest

User avatar
StarWarsFunkoGirl
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:22 pm
Location: Hampton VA
Contact:

Re: Numbers

Postby StarWarsFunkoGirl » Wed May 29, 2019 10:21 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
The foot stamps and box stamps are related to the production run/date. Especially with Hikari, those do not always match up. I assume since the boxes are generic in the sense that they are character specific but not specific to the particular color way that they are all printed at once and then stickered for the LE of that color way.

A/P is artist proof. Traditionally AP runs are reserved for the first production batch to match sure it matches the color master/licensor approval. Mindstyle was pretty liberal with their /P production numbers. I have about 8 or 9 AP's, since they are only marked by the card in the sealed box you never know you have one until you open it.



Great info! Does this same info apply to the XS Hikari ???
Image

Started collecting: 2014 | Pop! Star Wars: 372 | Pop! Harry Potter/Fantastic Beast 132 | 290 random pops, minis & pins

Markn12
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Numbers

Postby Markn12 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:34 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
Markn12 wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:
It could depend on the collector. I've never considered a piece more valuable because it's an AP... cooler yes but that's about it.


Yeah, that’s where I am at with Funko APs. Cooler to have a small subset within an already limited set.


To each their own I would say. You never know if you have one or not until you break the seal and - shudder - open it up :eek:

For me it's usually just a happy surprise when I find an A/P card with my Hikari.

In the statue world AP editions are often sold at a slight premium and sought after since they are usually signed by the sculptor or include something extra like a print.


For my one full size Hikari that had a loose card at the bottom (Frankenberry LE 100), I was able to hold the box upside down to see the card without opening the box. It was an A/P. But all my others have the card taped down or at least are not moving, and the box has to be opened to see the bottom of the card.

FunkoGus
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 am
Location: Whittier, CA

Re: Numbers

Postby FunkoGus » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:27 am

Good question, I learned a couple things. =D>


Return to “Hikari”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users