Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Neu_Funko

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby Neu_Funko » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:03 pm

What type of paint could I use to touch up my Hannibal Lecter? The paint on his mask is specked and not even covering all of the mask.

Hop

Postby Hop » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:37 pm

specialed wrote:How do I fix this? I know something about laying it flat with books on top, but is that it?

I know it's been a long time since this was posted but since I've recently discovered at least a partial solution to the problem I figured I'd post here...

Simple Box Restoration/Repair:

Open the top and bottom of the box and fold it flat, gently use a clothes iron (LOW HEAT/NO STEAM!!) to iron the box flat in the trouble spots. It won't fully take out the creases but it will restore the straight edges on the box and make any creases less apparent. It doesn't take much, a few seconds of pressure while keeping the iron moving should do. Oh and don't let the iron touch the plastic window directly, HUGE no-no.

Doing this allowed me to take a VERY crushed box (far worse than yours) and at least give it sharp corners so it could sit with the rest of my boxes without standing out like a sore thumb.
Hi. My name is Chris and I have a Funko problem.

DarioFunko

Postby DarioFunko » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:46 pm

Hop wrote:
specialed wrote:How do I fix this? I know something about laying it flat with books on top, but is that it?

I know it's been a long time since this was posted but since I've recently discovered at least a partial solution to the problem I figured I'd post here...

Simple Box Restoration/Repair:

Open the top and bottom of the box and fold it flat, gently use a clothes iron (LOW HEAT/NO STEAM!!) to iron the box flat in the trouble spots. It won't fully take out the creases but it will restore the straight edges on the box and make any creases less apparent. It doesn't take much, a few seconds of pressure while keeping the iron moving should do. Oh and don't let the iron touch the plastic window directly, HUGE no-no.

Doing this allowed me to take a VERY crushed box (far worse than yours) and at least give it sharp corners so it could sit with the rest of my boxes without standing out like a sore thumb.

Thank you for this! Haven't needed it yet but I feel like I may
"Whosoever is carrying Thor's fingerprints is I think, the literal translation." - Tony Stark

Hi, I'm Dario.
Pop Count: 3

Hop

Postby Hop » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:00 pm

DarioFunko wrote:Thank you for this! Haven't needed it yet but I feel like I may

No problem! It's more of an ideal solution for "bent" boxes where it was compressed in to bending 'outward' rather than being dented 'inward', if that makes any sense. If there's no visible creases on the outside you can generally iron it to borderline mint condition (seriously, it makes the cardboard feel stiff and brand new).

An 'inward' bend/dent will almost always result in a crease on the outside of the box but you can at least iron the cardboard flat again so you only notice the crease when you're actually holding it.

Hope it helps some people :D
Hi. My name is Chris and I have a Funko problem.

funkopopsrock

Postby funkopopsrock » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:52 pm

I put my Groot mystery mini in my pocket for a second after I took him out to try and readjust him I noticed his spring was exposed, any ideas on how to fix?

Jen:fan of funko pop tv and music
pops and other collections instagram: Jencollects
Funko Funklub member 8/1/16 :freddy1:

DreCal

Postby DreCal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:29 am

Hey guys I'm looking for tips on how I should go about replacing the ear for my Chase flash I have contacted Funko seeing if they can replace the part but if not.. Do you think I can buy a common flash remove the ear, thrn paint it the goldish Metallic Colir his Lightning Bolt is ? If I can how would I go about removing the Lightning bolt from flashs ear and go about painting it ? Any tips are appreciated !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RBeato

Postby RBeato » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:20 am

I bought a Heimdall today for my Marvel collection and I noticed his head is a little misshapen. Around the hole where the spring goes under his chin it looks a little warped. i can put pressure on it and push it back up but it eventually goes back down. What would be the best course to get it to stay properly?

SuperSarit

Postby SuperSarit » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:04 pm

What is a magic eraser?
"I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey"- Batman

dustman94
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby dustman94 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:05 pm

?

kyle725

Postby kyle725 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:24 pm

The magic eraser method works great. Recently there was a sale at my local albertsons 2 boxes for $3 (4 sponges total) and I cleaned a few of the pops with scuff marks and it turned out great.

JsinLegacy

Postby JsinLegacy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Question on bobble heads. A few of mine have their heads leaning to the side. is there a way to correct this issue?

Top ISO
1. Apollo Freddy 2. He-Man Wobbler 3. Orko Wobbler

Instagram : JsinLegacy

Team BACON

chaenilok

Postby chaenilok » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:02 pm

JsinLegacy wrote:Question on bobble heads. A few of mine have their heads leaning to the side. is there a way to correct this issue?

I've seen lot of people saying they stuff theirs with cotton balls. Personally I bend the spring with a couple of pliers. After one attempt gone wrong, I now use some sort of cloth (like a washcloth) to keep in between the pop and the pliers in case anything slips.
Hi, I'm Chaeni.
Marvel Pops: 181 | Other Pops: 62 | ISO: Black and White Captain America (#6), Metallic Captain America (#6) | Unattainable Grails: Heimdall Freddy, Deathstroke Freddy

Funko Pop! Fan16

Postby Funko Pop! Fan16 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:55 am

Could I use the eraser on a black pop? Or the q-tip?
I dropped my Wendigo Pop behind my bookshelf and the back of his head was scrapped as he fell.
Jonathan is HERE!
ImageImageImageImage

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:40 am

Funko Pop! Fan16 wrote:Could I use the eraser on a black pop? Or the q-tip?
I dropped my Wendigo Pop behind my bookshelf and the back of his head was scrapped as he fell.

That one should be fine however you do it as I believe that's the color of the vinyl and not painted.

ISO: Classic Harley Quinn Dorbz proto, Jareth, Ludo and Worm color protos, Silver Harley Quinn POP

slim1977

Postby slim1977 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:42 pm

Anyone have a tip on what kind of glue to use on a chase sticker. I have a gremlin chase and the sticker has folded so much that it looks like a taco. What do people use to get there stickers to stay on?
ISO: Jay proto from Jay and Silent Bob strike back

Streamline1175

Postby Streamline1175 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:30 pm

slim1977 wrote:Anyone have a tip on what kind of glue to use on a chase sticker. I have a gremlin chase and the sticker has folded so much that it looks like a taco. What do people use to get there stickers to stay on?

I have gotten away with just using a little bit of superglue and just rubbing it around in a circle on the back of the sticker and it will never come back off again.
Hi I am Nick!

Current/Shipped/Preorder: 176/0/0
Newest: Chase Penguin
Favorite: Chase Riddler
Chases Found in the Wild:
Green Lantern
Batman
Superman
Wonder Woman
Flash
Smaug
Zero
Joker

RBeato

Postby RBeato » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:08 am

Have a Gold Helmet Loki, on his face there are some shiny clear looking marks, I believe his head is the flesh colored vinyl so no paint, would a magic eraser be best for this to get rid of them?

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:17 am

RBeato wrote:Have a Gold Helmet Loki, on his face there are some shiny clear looking marks, I believe his head is the flesh colored vinyl so no paint, would a magic eraser be best for this to get rid of them?

If it's a very smooth shiny mark I've found those are the texture of the vinyl itself and not a mark. Not sure that can gotten rid of. Maybe sanding but that would be tricky.

ISO: Classic Harley Quinn Dorbz proto, Jareth, Ludo and Worm color protos, Silver Harley Quinn POP

RBeato

Postby RBeato » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:34 pm

They are smooth shiny marks, I didn't think I could get rid of them but figured I'd Atleast ask just in case.

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:40 pm

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I've gotten a few Pops that had little spots missing color, or where colors bled a bit on a part it shouldn't have. I had a pack of ultra fine point Sharpie markers. A variety of colors. It has worked really really well for me.
Holy Grails: Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Logan

slim1977

Postby slim1977 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:19 am

Streamline1175 wrote:
slim1977 wrote:Anyone have a tip on what kind of glue to use on a chase sticker. I have a gremlin chase and the sticker has folded so much that it looks like a taco. What do people use to get there stickers to stay on?

I have gotten away with just using a little bit of superglue and just rubbing it around in a circle on the back of the sticker and it will never come back off again.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
ISO: Jay proto from Jay and Silent Bob strike back

naisatoh

Postby naisatoh » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:02 pm

lcarus83 wrote:Just thought I'd throw this out there. I've gotten a few Pops that had little spots missing color, or where colors bled a bit on a part it shouldn't have. I had a pack of ultra fine point Sharpie markers. A variety of colors. It has worked really really well for me.

Sounds like a great idea. Personally, I would only venture to do it if the color in question were black. Too much minor variability in colors for me to comfortably "touch up" a Pop with standard Sharpies.
Hello. My name is Vince and I am a Funkaholic.

rolltide2014

Postby rolltide2014 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:05 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking at maybe purchasing the Headless Ned below at a really good price. The box is pretty beat up, but I'm not terribly worried about that as I can replace it. What I am concerned about is where it looks like the neck plug is sticking way out and didn't get pushed all the way in. Am I just crazy and seeing things or does this look like an issue? If it is, is it fixable, and how hard would that be for a noob that's never done anything like that to a Pop before? I'm sure to a lot of people this wouldn't even be an issue, but I know I'm the type of person that if I bought it, it would bother me to the point I'd eventually want to try to fix it, and I'm worried I'd ruin it somehow. If it was a $10 Pop, I wouldn't be worried about it and would just give it a try and live with the results, but even though I;d be getting a good deal its still quite a bit of money lol...Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AllThatRemains

Postby AllThatRemains » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:24 pm

I've tried removing scuff marks and paint with both the magic eraser and nail polish remover, but with no success. I slightly wet the magic eraser and rubbed, to no avail. The nail polish remover bottle said it contained acetone, but it didn't seem to affect the pop at all, much less strip the paint. I have a bit of sloppy paint work on a custom I've been working on but I need to know how to remove paint from pops.
Maddi here :D

Pops Owned: 36

superdarkdark

Postby superdarkdark » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:17 am

Edit: Do not take my advice, I experimented & melted a Pop. Carry on, nothing to read here.
Last edited by superdarkdark on Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

foxrex

Postby foxrex » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:58 pm

anyone know how to tighten spring for loose bobble head

tammiishibashi

Postby tammiishibashi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:50 pm

MadLove wrote:
FairestOfThemAll wrote:I have a Cinderella who took a tumble in an earthquake a few months ago and needs a drop of paint on her forehead. I hope I can match the color.

Good luck! I find using a burnt sienna or peach color with white, red and blue added as needed works well. I'd maybe test it on the back if the neck or base of head to make sure it's the right color before applying it to somewhere more conspicuous.

Thanks for this tip... I have a Bernadette pop that part of her skin needs "patching"

funkopopsrock

Postby funkopopsrock » Wed May 06, 2015 12:31 am

Jeggy wrote:Fixing a bent spring for the bobbles.

Fixing the spring if the head is tilted is actually easy. I just fixed one for the first time this past weekend and I did it in a few minutes.

The head unscrews very easily and it is actually the spring that is coming off from the body. If you have difficulties make sure the little bend at the tip of the spring isn't carving it's way into the stem. Simply push that part with your finger or move with needle nose pliers. Once it is unsnagged it will come off with ease.

Now as for getting the spring out the head. It helps greatly if you have needle nose pliers, your fingers work too but it might prove to be very difficult. Any who simpley find the bent tip of the spring and push that counter clockwise. The tip will be the part of the spring furthest up the head. This basically loosens the spring, and should now be able to just twist out.

Take a look at the spring and look for where the bend in the rings is. I do this by looking at the spring as perfectly straight as I can and look for the ring in the spring that is causing it to not look straight. Use the needle nose to pinch that ring, and slowly bend in the opposite direction until it looks as if the spring has straightened.

Putting the spring back on is the easiest part. First twist the spring on the neck of the body. Remember the skinny part goes on the neck. Next twist on the head making sure to that you apply it straight. The direction it is facing doesn't matter. Next twist the head until you reach the desired bobble. The head does not get twisted all the way as it will not bob and the head will look very close to the body if you do so.

That's it.

What about Groot mystery mini, a few months ago I put him in my pocket now his springs are exposed.

PlaystationFanboy

Postby PlaystationFanboy » Wed May 06, 2015 1:47 pm

Can somebody help me with my White Lantern Batman? The paint job on mine is horrible. Worst paint job I've ever seen on any Pop, to be honest. The head has a few scratches on it and the feet are already chipping. Any help would be great. Thanks.
My name is Jerry.
Looking for Pop! Batgirl Black Suit

funkopopsrock

Postby funkopopsrock » Sat May 23, 2015 3:53 pm

Sharky broke his fin again, the last time it broke I had someone superglue it together it... Any ideas for the fin to stay on?

pop_jumper

Postby pop_jumper » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:04 pm

funkopopsrock wrote:Sharky broke his fin again, the last time it broke I had someone superglue it together it... Any ideas for the fin to stay on?

Some sort of epoxy might work better, if superglue won't do the trick. If epoxy scares you, Gorilla Glue has great hold.
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 345
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Scarif Trooper
100th POP! : Custom CW Blue Lantern Flash
200th POP! : Darth Maul
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)
GRAIL(S): Bart Simpson/Chase Flash

Mystery Minis: 30

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

People disappoint, but POP!s don't. :D

POPtor WHO

Postby POPtor WHO » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:43 am

I've got a couple:

I recently picked up the clear Predator only to find that his neck peg is bent so his head is leaning to his left shoulder. I have experience fixing Marvel Legends by heating/boiling but am unsure if the clear plastic used for Pops will respond to this without breaking.

Also, I have a Joker whose head seems to be fused or glued in place. Can't get any movement at all. Normally, I'd freeze a figure with this type of problem. Is that the best option for Pops?

Thanks

Kimchi Pasta

Postby Kimchi Pasta » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:13 am

I have a Tinkerbell glitter HT exclusive and it looks like her ankles are bent forward at an extreme angle, like 45 degrees. If I put her feet flat to the ground it looks like she's staring at the ground. Since her feet have glitter I am timid on what to do to straighten her out. Any thoughts, let me know please!
Call me Kimchi!
Total Pop! count: 587
Started collecting: 7/8/14

berrymonster

Postby berrymonster » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:05 am

How do repair dent box? Ironing the box?

Kimchi Pasta

Postby Kimchi Pasta » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:58 am

berrymonster wrote:How do repair dent box? Ironing the box?

Yes, Hop talked about this on the previous page.
Call me Kimchi!
Total Pop! count: 587
Started collecting: 7/8/14

PinkiePie316

Postby PinkiePie316 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:17 pm

q-tip and nail polish remover has saved so many of my Pops with sloppy paint jobs. Good tip, thank you for sharing!
63 Pops! and more on the way!

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:53 am

Kimchi Pasta wrote:I have a Tinkerbell glitter HT exclusive and it looks like her ankles are bent forward at an extreme angle, like 45 degrees. If I put her feet flat to the ground it looks like she's staring at the ground. Since her feet have glitter I am timid on what to do to straighten her out. Any thoughts, let me know please!

Might try a hair dryer on high or heat gun rather than water. Sorry for the late response!

karlamaye

Postby karlamaye » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:26 am

I have a problem with my Loki Pop :(

When I first took it out the box, it couldn't stand and kept falling over. So I googled a repair for it and I found that twisting the head at least one full twist should do the trick. It did. But now Loki looks like he's looking down, kinda sad Loki. How do I put him back to his normal head angle? It couldn't be twisted back, and I'm also scared to remove the head entirely because I might not be able to put him back to one piece.

Halp :(
Collecting since June 2015

POPS: 2
Loki Laufeyson (Marvel 36)
Thor Odinson (AoU)

JULY GOALS:
Captain America (AoU or Avengers)
Iron Man (AoU or Avengers)

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:46 am

karlamaye wrote:I have a problem with my Loki Pop :(

When I first took it out the box, it couldn't stand and kept falling over. So I googled a repair for it and I found that twisting the head at least one full twist should do the trick. It did. But now Loki looks like he's looking down, kinda sad Loki. How do I put him back to his normal head angle? It couldn't be twisted back, and I'm also scared to remove the head entirely because I might not be able to put him back to one piece.

Use a pair of pliers to turn it back the other way. The spring has a hook in the end that pushes against the plastic-you need to essentially lift the end of that hook up very slightly so it doesn't catch.

karlamaye

Postby karlamaye » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:13 pm

MadLove wrote:
karlamaye wrote:I have a problem with my Loki Pop :(

Use a pair of pliers to turn it back the other way. The spring has a hook in the end that pushes against the plastic-you need to essentially lift the end of that hook up very slightly so it doesn't catch.

Will it snap back to place once I'm done? I'm scared I would damage the spring :crybaby:
Collecting since June 2015

POPS: 2
Loki Laufeyson (Marvel 36)
Thor Odinson (AoU)

JULY GOALS:
Captain America (AoU or Avengers)
Iron Man (AoU or Avengers)

Return to “Pop!”