Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
mizsdiana

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby mizsdiana » Wed May 16, 2018 11:06 am

Boymom4 wrote:Hi there...I have a Tom and Jerry 20" wacky wobbler and Tom's hand has come loose and unglued. He's holding Jerry in this hand so there is extra weight. Any recommendations for a good sturdy glue?

Loctite gel worked very well for me when I was working on a custom! Good luck!

Boymom4

Postby Boymom4 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:01 pm

mizsdiana wrote:
Boymom4 wrote:Hi there...I have a Tom and Jerry 20" wacky wobbler and Tom's hand has come loose and unglued. He's holding Jerry in this hand so there is extra weight. Any recommendations for a good sturdy glue?

Loctite gel worked very well for me when I was working on a custom! Good luck!

Thanks for the response! I'll definitely give it a shot :)

Kwiksilverpop

Postby Kwiksilverpop » Sun May 20, 2018 1:19 am

Hey all just curious if anyone else has any issues with their 10” Thanos pop. At first he was fine and after displaying him for a few weeks his forefoot seemed to give way, now he leans forward and tips after a minute without support. Any ideas on how to correct this issue?
ISO: Star Wars LE Wobblers
ImageImageImage

FearlessPhotog

Postby FearlessPhotog » Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 am

Kwiksilverpop wrote:Hey all just curious if anyone else has any issues with their 10” Thanos pop. At first he was fine and after displaying him for a few weeks his forefoot seemed to give way, now he leans forward and tips after a minute without support. Any ideas on how to correct this issue?

same exact thing happened with my Hot Topic Sombra bro, after a week or two her foot bent in a way that she just falls... even while on her stand! I found a solution though - putting her back in the damn box. ](*,) :mumum: :mumum:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:06 am

My dang flying tinkerbell from the Disney treasures box, bent forward almost to,where she was touching the ground with her nose, I got I told replaced and all seems good, but the next one while not as bad did the same, so Wes but her stand part in hot water, bent it back in to shape and hen put a strip of epoxy on the back of her stand.problem solved she now stands as she is supposed to . Flying thru the air.!!! :tink: :tink:
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.
ISO~ Flocked Lotso. And a Bobs big boy pop.

Pops and Dorbz -1750~~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays
And
Baby Groot with bomb from this years fundays.

Kwiksilverpop

Postby Kwiksilverpop » Mon May 21, 2018 1:24 pm

FearlessPhotog wrote:
Kwiksilverpop wrote:Hey all just curious if anyone else has any issues with their 10” Thanos pop. At first he was fine and after displaying him for a few weeks his forefoot seemed to give way, now he leans forward and tips after a minute without support. Any ideas on how to correct this issue?

same exact thing happened with my Hot Topic Sombra bro, after a week or two her foot bent in a way that she just falls... even while on her stand! I found a solution though - putting her back in the damn box. ](*,) :mumum: :mumum:

Aw man lol I can’t put the 10” Thanos back in the box he’s too awesome to be contained in a cardboard prison. I guess I’ll have to try and find another one ](*,)
ImageImageImage

FearlessPhotog

Postby FearlessPhotog » Mon May 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Kwiksilverpop wrote:
FearlessPhotog wrote:

Aw man lol I can’t put the 10” Thanos back in the box he’s too awesome to be contained in a cardboard prison. I guess I’ll have to try and find another one ](*,)

well either way hope you get one that stands lol

Kwiksilverpop

Postby Kwiksilverpop » Mon May 21, 2018 10:17 pm

FearlessPhotog wrote:
Kwiksilverpop wrote:
FearlessPhotog wrote:

well either way hope you get one that stands lol

Me too man me too. My display looks weird Thanos has to lean on 10” groot to stay up lol
ImageImageImage

SenorDread

Postby SenorDread » Wed May 23, 2018 12:57 am

I have a couple pops that seem to slip out of their insert, any idea on how to prevent these? No matter how much adjustment I do to my Billy from Saw, it keeps coming out of the insert in box.

ricechen3

Postby ricechen3 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:38 pm

repair = non original?

d3postman

Postby d3postman » Wed May 23, 2018 10:15 pm

ricechen3 wrote:repair = non original?

Some would say yes, others no. It depends on what your plans are with the pop. If you are just displaying it, then whatever. But if you plan on reselling it after you've repaired it, that may be something you should disclose. But, everyone is different

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:58 am

d3postman wrote:

Some would say yes, others no. It depends on what your plans are with the pop. If you are just displaying it, then whatever. But if you plan on reselling it after you've repaired it, that may be something you should disclose. But, everyone is different

Most definitely, if you made any type of repair to a pop, it should be disclosed if you ever sell that pop.

Minis-450+
And

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Tue May 29, 2018 10:16 pm

Shalee04 wrote:
d3postman wrote:

Most definitely, if you made any type of repair to a pop, it should be disclosed if you ever sell that pop.

I think it all depends what you did to repair it. Magic eraser to clean a spot or dab of glue that lost its hold I say No. Make a new piece to replace a broken part or swap a part from another pop I say Yes. It really depends if just a simple minor repair while keeping the integrity of the pop the same or a big repair. Again everyone will have a different stance on this.

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:57 am

TJLAUTERBACH wrote:
Shalee04 wrote:
d3postman wrote:

I think it all depends what you did to repair it. Magic eraser to clean a spot or dab of glue that lost its hold I say No. Make a new piece to replace a broken part or swap a part from another pop I say Yes. It really depends if just a simple minor repair while keeping the integrity of the pop the same or a big repair. Again everyone will have a different stance on this.

Agreed. And I'm an OOB collector for the most part, and I have had to make some interesting repairs. Lol.
Last edited by Shalee04 on Wed May 30, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minis-450+
And

mizsdiana

Postby mizsdiana » Wed May 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Shalee04 wrote:
TJLAUTERBACH wrote:
Shalee04 wrote:

Agreed. And I'm an OOB collector for the most part, and my I have had to make some interest repairs. Lol.

I do agree if there is any damage and had to be repaired and you are selling it, it would be nice to know what was done at least people are aware.

MikeySanz

Postby MikeySanz » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:23 pm

d3postman wrote:

Yup. Agreed.

datfunkojawn

Postby datfunkojawn » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:35 am

Just curious but has anyone ever do a window swap for the box? And if so how did you go about doing it?
Collecting since March '16 - Philadelphia, PA - My Motto: "Buy it NOW, Regret it LATER"
IG: datfunkojawn
Collection: Freddy Funko / Disney / Dragon Ball / Game of Thrones

ImageImage

racheva

Postby racheva » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:49 am

Ms_Chase wrote:
Schl0 wrote:
jkcohen626 wrote:This is taking the quotation marks around repair to the max, but has anybody had any success with removing glued on stands, specifically Holo-Leia or The Last Jedi Mystery Minis?

I’ve never done it before, but I would suggest trying to use a hairdryer to heat up the glue holding them together. Don’t use anything crazy like a heat gun tho.

Most of the glue comes free if you soak it in almost boiling water for a minute or two. Have you tried that?

Has anyone tried any of these? I'm currently unboxing almost all of my SW pops and I've found some are stuck to their bases. I've actually used a knife to pry them up a few times, but I don't love doing that since I run the risk of harming the pop and myself!

If you're listening Funko, please don't glue them! It adds extra height and makes them harder to display.
Star Wars/Harry Potter/Supernatural/Disney/Marvel/Golden Girls!

SDCC 2011-2018, Fundays 2016/2017/2018, NYCC 2014-2018, SWCO 2017, D23 Expo 2015/2017

Picmahweji

Postby Picmahweji » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:15 am

Left a wonky pop in the sun in my car today. Mother Nature fixed it
ImageImage ImageImage

Schl0

Postby Schl0 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:15 am

racheva wrote:
Ms_Chase wrote:
Schl0 wrote:
I’ve never done it before, but I would suggest trying to use a hairdryer to heat up the glue holding them together. Don’t use anything crazy like a heat gun tho.

Most of the glue comes free if you soak it in almost boiling water for a minute or two. Have you tried that?

Has anyone tried any of these? I'm currently unboxing almost all of my SW pops and I've found some are stuck to their bases. I've actually used a knife to pry them up a few times, but I don't love doing that since I run the risk of harming the pop and myself!

If you're listening Funko, please don't glue them! It adds extra height and makes them harder to display.

Trust me. Try a hair dryer. It’s the perfect amount of heat and doesn’t get too hot. You have to be careful getting those bases too hot because they’re a harder plastic. If you use a heat gun or something really hot you could ruin it.
-Eric-
ISO: Bob Ross with Palette color proto
IG: @schl0 & @superfunkobros

FunkoFunatic247

Postby FunkoFunatic247 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:19 am

Wow this was really helpful the magic eraser works perfect on removing the scuffs on the paint Thanks :freddy2:

jenjen

Postby jenjen » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Me I never take out the box.

rfinishen

Postby rfinishen » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:36 am

good information! thanks for sharing

gunner jed

Postby gunner jed » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:32 pm

With one of my Marvel bobble head pops the head has come off the spring. That is I have just the head and the spring is still attached to the neck of the body. I have currently just got the head placed on the spring but if I touch it will move and fall over. Any advice how to fix it? Thanks
ImageImage

ISO: Australian Infinity War chrome set

Dumplingbox

Postby Dumplingbox » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:36 pm

datfunkojawn wrote:Just curious but has anyone ever do a window swap for the box? And if so how did you go about doing it?

I would remove the window from another Pop box by peeling it off with an x-acto and then cleaning the glue off with rubbing alcohol or some solvent. Then I would do the same to the box that you want to repair, apply a thin film of glue to the good window and apply it onto the box you are repairing.
"Ain't no thing like me, except me!" - Rocket

Myssa428

Postby Myssa428 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:42 am

10” Porg
Has anyone had a problem and found a fix for the 10” Porg leaning forward?
I havent’t tried fixing it yet, wanted to check here first.
Are they legs and/or stand removable?
- M&J, Disney Collectors / Hoarders :cheshire:

evrythngzen

Postby evrythngzen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Thank you so much for this thread!! This just fixed more than half the issues I've had. We've been using double-sided tape for those heavy heads figures and it works for a while, but only a while. Totally gonna check out the putty options. Brilliant!

Superturtlewave

Postby Superturtlewave » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:09 am

Yay for this thread. I've had a some chips on my pops and have always left them.

gunner jed

Postby gunner jed » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:19 pm

How can I remove the latest Star Wars pops that are glued onto the bases?
ImageImage

wmwadeii

Postby wmwadeii » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:25 pm

FearlessPhotog wrote:

Same thing happened with my Spider-Girl, being a bobble trying to get balance is a pain even with the hot water trick (don't get me started on X-23 with no stand), so since I'm OOB and no plan to sell her just glued her feet to the stand problem solved lol.

Shalee04 wrote:My dang flying tinkerbell from the Disney treasures box, bent forward almost to,where she was touching the ground with her nose, I got I told replaced and all seems good, but the next one while not as bad did the same, so Wes but her stand part in hot water, bent it back in to shape and hen put a strip of epoxy on the back of her stand.problem solved she now stands as she is supposed to . Flying thru the air.!!! :tink: :tink:

Yeah mine unfortunately did the same thing and finally fell out of the display case when I was doing some rearranging. She broke off her glowing stand and I can't seem to get it lined up right to where she isn't leaning too far forward. Think she might be a loss, but glad I can order another box if I can't get her right since I was a founder.
Images Unplugged
- Dorbz News, Photos & Checklists
#dorbzoutsidethebox on Instagram
Pop! = 360 Dorbz = 588 Vynl. = 27
wmwadeii on PPG and Stashpedia

MiniPop

Postby MiniPop » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:19 pm

Has anyone found a solution to the leaning porg issue. My daughter's giant porg is leaning his head almost completely upward at this point lol. I'm not really sure what to do as I don't want to break the spring in the head/neck area. (He could go back in the box but we like him on the dresser.)

FearlessPhotog

Postby FearlessPhotog » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:26 am

wmwadeii wrote:
FearlessPhotog wrote:

Same thing happened with my Spider-Girl, being a bobble trying to get balance is a pain even with the hot water trick (don't get me started on X-23 with no stand), so since I'm OOB and no plan to sell her just glued her feet to the stand problem solved lol.

Shalee04 wrote:My dang flying tinkerbell from the Disney treasures box, bent forward almost to,where she was touching the ground with her nose, I got I told replaced and all seems good, but the next one while not as bad did the same, so Wes but her stand part in hot water, bent it back in to shape and hen put a strip of epoxy on the back of her stand.problem solved she now stands as she is supposed to . Flying thru the air.!!! :tink: :tink:

Yeah mine unfortunately did the same thing and finally fell out of the display case when I was doing some rearranging. She broke off her glowing stand and I can't seem to get it lined up right to where she isn't leaning too far forward. Think she might be a loss, but glad I can order another box if I can't get her right since I was a founder.

yeah i thought about gluing her too, but i haven't done yet it, i just put mine back in the box

gunner jed

Postby gunner jed » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:09 pm

How can you get the new Star Wars pops off their bases?
ImageImage

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:27 am

Schl0 wrote:
racheva wrote:
Ms_Chase wrote:

Trust me. Try a hair dryer. It’s the perfect amount of heat and doesn’t get too hot. You have to be careful getting those bases too hot because they’re a harder plastic. If you use a heat gun or something really hot you could ruin it.

Yup i agree. Make sure to fan the blow dryer back and forth.
ImageImageImage

gunner jed

Postby gunner jed » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:40 pm

w00tw00t wrote:
Schl0 wrote:
racheva wrote:

I’ll try that as boiling water didn’t work for me.
ImageImage

Darthawz

Postby Darthawz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:14 am

Thanks for this thread, as a new collector this is awesome to know

goffrey

Postby goffrey » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 pm

It’s so hot here in the U.K. right now (for us!) and my Pops are kept in the conservatory / playroom. It’s even hotter in there than usual and today I noticed the heads on the Pops were softening in the heat!!!! No misshaping occurred but if I squeezed hard enough there would have been! Anyone else experienced this before?? They cooled down and are good as new again but it was a bit of a shock!

gunner jed

Postby gunner jed » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:56 pm

gunner jed wrote:
w00tw00t wrote:
Schl0 wrote:

I’ll try that as boiling water didn’t work for me.

What’s the best way to get the new Star Wars pops off their bases? I’ve tried boiling water and a hairdryer but still can’t get her off
ImageImage

Scottwk1

Postby Scottwk1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:40 pm

I have had similar problems to the Thanos with some of the ones like the Infinity Wars Iron Man. I had one that the stand started to break off right at the back shortly after I displayed it. I'm wondering with the Thanos if it's just that the thickness of the vinyl in that particular part of the foot isn't thick enough for long term display.

Yeya_Rey

Postby Yeya_Rey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks for the info!! Will do!! :compress:

Return to “Pop!”