Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
SkebeSan

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby SkebeSan » Wed May 02, 2018 2:07 pm

I know this thread is mostly DIY of repairs. I am more of an in-box collector. Just recently joined and was wondering if anyone contacted Funko about replacement boxes for their collections? Were you successful in obtain a replacement piece for your figure. Just wondering what the success rate is for replacements.

So I wanted to add to this post about replacement boxes. Although, they did not send me a replacement (don't think they do this) but a whole new item (same Funko pop). Since it wasn't an item that sold out they were able to send a brand new pop. Kudos Funko! thanks for looking out.
Last edited by SkebeSan on Mon May 07, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snozberries44

Postby Snozberries44 » Thu May 03, 2018 1:50 am

w00tw00t wrote:
Snozberries44 wrote:I picked up a loose superman and some of the paint is missing from his hand.... what kind of paint do you guys use on the pops? I forget the superman number but I believe its the cavel man of steel with the spitcurl if that makes a difference....its just the flesh on his hand I need to paint.

Also I want to attempt to customize my first pop.... I want to turn a brunette into a blone because of the specific hair style...any suggestions for paint for that welcome!

thanks in advance...

I haven't done a mod to mine yet, but i'm sure the same technique can be applied here. Make sure you prime it and use any acrylic type paint. Airbrushing it will give it a clean look, but if you don't have one you can brush it on. Sometimes it will leave brush strokes depending on the brush you use.

THANKS!

THEcatsMEOW

Postby THEcatsMEOW » Fri May 04, 2018 6:41 pm

Hey my mercy fell off the shelf and broke off her stand, any suggestions on good hobby glue or something since it's such a small surface area to put back together?

ashio24

Postby ashio24 » Fri May 04, 2018 11:41 pm

w00tw00t wrote:
ashio24 wrote:
emcee wrote:
Have a picture of where it's broken?

Oh I ended up just gluing the head to the shoulders but now it looks like it has no neck. The spring was all bent inside.

If down the road you plan to fix it let us know and take a picture. Maybe we can figure something out that will make it look right again.

Thank you, I will!

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Sat May 05, 2018 1:26 am

ashio24 wrote:
w00tw00t wrote:
ashio24 wrote:Oh I ended up just gluing the head to the shoulders but now it looks like it has no neck. The spring was all bent inside.

If down the road you plan to fix it let us know and take a picture. Maybe we can figure something out that will make it look right again.

Thank you, I will!

Anytime. :freddy2:
ImageImageImage

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:29 pm

Has anyone had any luck flattening and ironing out pop boxes?
I have a a grail box that has a really nasty ding in it. I flattened it, ironed it with parchment paper and then put it in a heavy book with a bunch of weights on top for a few days, it really didn't do much to help.
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 am

Nemesis989 wrote:Has anyone had any luck flattening and ironing out pop boxes?
I have a a grail box that has a really nasty ding in it. I flattened it, ironed it with parchment paper and then put it in a heavy book with a bunch of weights on top for a few days, it really didn't do much to help.

I doubt that ironing the box will get out the ding. Also, depends how bad the ding is. If you can somehow get inside the box and try to iron the ding from the inside that might help, but that would probably mean you would need to remove the glue etc holding the box together. I've never tried it but that might do the trick.
ImageImageImage

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:39 am

w00tw00t wrote:

I doubt that ironing the box will get out the ding. Also, depends how bad the ding is. If you can somehow get inside the box and try to iron the ding from the inside that might help, but that would probably mean you would need to remove the glue etc holding the box together. I've never tried it but that might do the trick.

Thanks for the advice. I tried ironing it again, I misted the box a little bit with a humidifier first this time. Ironed away under parchment paper and flattened (for one day this time). The ding doesn't seem as bad as it did before, but it's still there. I should really call it a ding, it was more of a deep crush, like somebody had this in a bag and pressed up against a handrail with it (it's a Batman Conan so this theory makes sense).

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Tue May 08, 2018 10:49 am

Nemesis989 wrote:
w00tw00t wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I tried ironing it again, I misted the box a little bit with a humidifier first this time. Ironed away under parchment paper and flattened (for one day this time). The ding doesn't seem as bad as it did before, but it's still there. I should really call it a ding, it was more of a deep crush, like somebody had this in a bag and pressed up against a handrail with it (it's a Batman Conan so this theory makes sense).

Is there wrinkles from the crush? I would avoid any type of moisture even if it's very little. I think you could damage it more. I would say just leave it the way it is and if you can't live with it try sourcing another one and selling the one you have. I would hate for you to damage it more. Or you could find a pop box you don't care for and try to damage it the same way and use that as your experiment. See if any new or old techniques might work and if it does apply it to the box in question.
ImageImageImage

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:22 am

w00tw00t wrote:
Nemesis989 wrote:
w00tw00t wrote:

Is there wrinkles from the crush? I would avoid any type of moisture even if it's very little. I think you could damage it more. I would say just leave it the way it is and if you can't live with it try sourcing another one and selling the one you have. I would hate for you to damage it more. Or you could find a pop box you don't care for and try to damage it the same way and use that as your experiment. See if any new or old techniques might work and if it does apply it to the box in question.

Yeah, there are wrinkles from the crush, there is nothing I can do about that. I'll try and figure out how to post pictures of before and after. The ding was so bad when I got it that it left a shadow across the picture on the front. It looked like someone took their body weight and pressed this pop into a bar or railing. I've had some luck just pushing the bash out from the inside of the box, it's gotten better but will always be a damaged box. Which at the end of the day isn't a big deal because this guy is never leaving the collection, I just don't want him to look noticeably terrible beside the other Conans he is displayed with. Thanks for the advice.

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Tue May 08, 2018 11:33 am

Nemesis989 wrote:
w00tw00t wrote:
Nemesis989 wrote:

Yeah, there are wrinkles from the crush, there is nothing I can do about that. I'll try and figure out how to post pictures of before and after. The ding was so bad when I got it that it left a shadow across the picture on the front. It looked like someone took their body weight and pressed this pop into a bar or railing. I've had some luck just pushing the bash out from the inside of the box, it's gotten better but will always be a damaged box. Which at the end of the day isn't a big deal because this guy is never leaving the collection, I just don't want him to look noticeably terrible beside the other Conans he is displayed with. Thanks for the advice.

No problem. Maybe someone else on the board might have better info that can help. But if you're ok with it that's all that matters.
ImageImageImage

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:26 pm

The hot almost boiling water has been used many times in our house. \:D/
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.
ISO~ Flocked Lotso. And a Bobs big boy pop.

Pops and Dorbz -1750~~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays
And
Baby Groot with bomb from this years fundays.

SirPopsaLot

Postby SirPopsaLot » Tue May 08, 2018 5:37 pm

I don't really have the time to read every page to see if this has already been posted (I mean, seriously... that's too much).
But for my fellow in-box "box nazis".. Do you hate when the edge of the viewing window is rounded?? Plastic insert a little lopsided or not set in place?? Terrified to try "pinching the edges"??
It took me a while (and quite a few of my daughters commons), but I have MASTERED the art of, not only opening the box cleanly, but also making the edges SHARP, as well as adjusting the plastic insert. Then closing the box back up and having it look like it was meant to be!!
The trick is simple.. a grocery store club card! (or any plastic card, I prefer store cards because they are flat and smooth)
Also.. a hard, flat surface. VERY IMPORTANT to make sure the hard surface has no debris or anything on it to affect the box when flattening.

1. Slide card under lid and pop out the two edges, repeat this step for the bottom lid as well.
2. Once both lids are open, slide the Pop and plastic insert out through the TOP of the Pop box. (top works best for 99% of the ones I've done)
3. Lay the Pop box on your hard flat surface. I like to use a small lens cleaning cloth for this. Using the cloth, run your finger down the edge of the box and edge of plastic viewing window. Be careful to do this slowly and evenly to ensure a crisp, clean edge.
4. Once you are satisfied with the edges, slide the Pop and insert back into the box from the BOTTOM.
5. Insert lid tabs and VIOLA!! A mint, sharp box!!

I'm well aware that this is a bit dramatic and over the top, but hey.. I know there are some out there that like a flawless box.
Hope this helps!
Freddy Funko is my nephew! :freddy3:

Image ImageImage

ejcurtis115

Postby ejcurtis115 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:41 am

Exodus989 wrote:The worst is retailers putting there tags right on the window - some of them goo gone takes care of easily, others not so much. Anyone have any other ideas? Trying to find something that doesn’t cloud the plastic

I am also looking for the perfect sticker goo remover from window panel. TIA, much appreciated!
:SW9:
ISO: Bernadette (Big Bang Theory) and Wicked Witch (Wizard of Oz)
Pops!: 1,400+
Dorbz: 28
Hikari: 5
Mystery minis: 50+
Pint size heroes: 40+
Reaction figures: 17
Action figures: 8
T's, hat's, patches, pins, socks: too many to count!
Funklub member: 13394 (waited a few years into collecting to go ahead and join)

Kwrenn76

Postby Kwrenn76 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:44 pm

ejcurtis115 wrote:
Exodus989 wrote:The worst is retailers putting there tags right on the window - some of them goo gone takes care of easily, others not so much. Anyone have any other ideas? Trying to find something that doesn’t cloud the plastic

I am also looking for the perfect sticker goo remover from window panel. TIA, much appreciated!

Leave the pop in the bathroom with you while you take a hot shower, works for me about 90% of the time :D
Pop Count: 300ish lol
Proto Count: 40
Current ISO: DBZ Protos, Kylo Ren Protos, Back to the Future protos, SDCC 2017 The Mountain Proto, Freddy Protos, and a bunch of other stuff XD
Favorite Piece: Pop Rides BTTF DeLorean (my first ever pop given to me by my girlfriend)

Imadv8

Postby Imadv8 » Wed May 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Hello everyone. Any ideas on this bad boy? Opened it this way.
https://imgur.com/gallery/wFp9sgx
Instagram: @imadv82

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Wed May 09, 2018 5:19 pm

ejcurtis115 wrote:

If it's just the window I don't see why using an alcohol pad won't work.
ImageImageImage

Djshivers

Postby Djshivers » Wed May 09, 2018 5:23 pm

Thx for the awesome tips
My name is Ricky aka Pop_N_Kicks :freddy3:
POP Count 740
Mini's Count 50
Pint Size Heroes Count 34
Dorbz Count 25

Sam25

Postby Sam25 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:32 pm

I wish I knew repairs were possible before I just bought again. My kids were happy about it.

d3postman

Postby d3postman » Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Sam25 wrote:I wish I knew repairs were possible before I just bought again. My kids were happy about it.

Right?! I spent a lot of money with replacing instead of repairing...especially after my nephew would visit...

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Thu May 10, 2018 1:40 am

This is probably a general question with regards to cleaning, but would the cooking oil trick work for the plastic windows in general?

I’d think it would leave a film behind? I don’t know

jeffcrazy

Postby jeffcrazy » Thu May 10, 2018 4:39 am

Imadv8 wrote:Hello everyone. Any ideas on this bad boy? Opened it this way.

I've done this on accident, so I'm curious to see what people say.. I haven't gone through this entire thread yet, but I bet somebody has already addressed this kind of thing

smitre

Postby smitre » Thu May 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Anyone have Pops that lean forward over time? My Star Wars battle damaged K-2SO NYCC exclusive leans forward a full 45 degrees even though the feet still mount securely and flat on the pegs of the Star Wars base. He stood mostly upright when I got him last year.

Nothing feels broken. I can get him more upright with some gentle force but he immediately leans back forward again after I let go.

Suggestions?
Solutions?

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Thu May 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Pryde72 wrote:This is probably a general question with regards to cleaning, but would the cooking oil trick work for the plastic windows in general?

I would be careful with that. if any of that stuff gets on the box, it will likely stain it. What is wrong with your window? Trying to get goo off or something else?
ImageImageImage

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Thu May 10, 2018 12:10 pm

smitre wrote:Anyone have Pops that lean forward over time? My Star Wars battle damaged K-2SO NYCC exclusive leans forward a full 45 degrees even though the feet still mount securely and flat on the pegs of the Star Wars base. He stood mostly upright when I got him last year.

Nothing feels broken. I can get him more upright with some gentle force but he immediately leans back forward again after I let go.

Suggestions?
Solutions?

I would try to use a hair dryer on low and fan your hair dryer around the pop so it's not constant heat in one area. once it's warm bend it back and you can possibly manually hold it in place or maybe use something to hold it in place for you. This worked on a few of my vinyl godzillas.
ImageImageImage

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:43 pm

w00tw00t wrote:
Pryde72 wrote:This is probably a general question with regards to cleaning, but would the cooking oil trick work for the plastic windows in general?

I would be careful with that. if any of that stuff gets on the box, it will likely stain it. What is wrong with your window? Trying to get goo off or something else?

You know, I don’t actually know what it is.

The box was sitting (face up, doh!) ontop of a kitchen cabinet.

It’s not just dust, but an accumulation of a few years of general “crud” that does not want to wipe off.

I guess my other option is a window swap, but I’m a complete newbie at that

w00tw00t

Postby w00tw00t » Thu May 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Pryde72 wrote:
w00tw00t wrote:

It’s not just dust, but an accumulation of a few years of general “crud” that does not want to wipe off.

I don't take any responsibilities in damage, but i would try one of those medical alcohol wipes. I usually use that on sticky stuff and it works.
ImageImageImage

Pryde72

Postby Pryde72 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:41 am

Not a bad idea! We have a bunch of those laying around.

*chuckle* if it doesn’t work, I will be sure to come back and yell at you ;)

I’m kidding, I promise....thanks for the idea

nyc_collector315

Postby nyc_collector315 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Any tips for getting a smudge or streak off the front window without damaging it. Sorry if it was already covered.

Imadv8

Postby Imadv8 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:00 pm

jeffcrazy wrote:

I've done this on accident, so I'm curious to see what people say.. I haven't gone through this entire thread yet, but I bet somebody has already addressed this kind of thing

Ahh ok thanks. I’m going to have to search. Thanks for the info.
Instagram: @imadv82

iNinjai_007

Postby iNinjai_007 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Hello all. Fairly new collector and definitly a noob customizor and. diy'er. Got a question... when painting pops, do you sand the pop gently to remove original paint? spray the only way to get even cost without steaks marks?

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:04 am

Pryde72 wrote:
w00tw00t wrote:

There's option #3--- take them OOB :eek: :D :D :D
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.
ISO~ Flocked Lotso. And a Bobs big boy pop.

Pops and Dorbz -1750~~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays
And
Baby Groot with bomb from this years fundays.

OUTSIDER31

Postby OUTSIDER31 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:03 pm

Removing head

Cccustomspop

Postby Cccustomspop » Mon May 14, 2018 10:17 pm

That sucks. But a bit of hot glue in the top of his head will re attach it
ImageImage
Image ImageImageImage
Instagram: cccustomspop
FB: fb.com/cccustomspop

Cccustomspop

Postby Cccustomspop » Mon May 14, 2018 10:20 pm

iNinjai_007 wrote:Hello all. Fairly new collector and definitly a noob customizor and. diy'er. Got a question... when painting pops, do you sand the pop gently to remove original paint? spray the only way to get even cost without steaks marks?

I don’t remove the original paint. I do sometimes sand off imperfections first.

Airbrush is not the only way to avoid brush strokes (I have never used one) You just need to do many thin layers of paint. The biggest thing to remember to avoid streaks is to dilute your paint with water.
ImageImage
Image ImageImageImage
Instagram: cccustomspop
FB: fb.com/cccustomspop

ejcurtis115

Postby ejcurtis115 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 pm

w00tw00t wrote:
ejcurtis115 wrote:

I tried the alcohol pad on one and it made the spot hazy, afraid to try it on another:/
:SW9:
ISO: Bernadette (Big Bang Theory) and Wicked Witch (Wizard of Oz)
Pops!: 1,400+
Dorbz: 28
Hikari: 5
Mystery minis: 50+
Pint size heroes: 40+
Reaction figures: 17
Action figures: 8
T's, hat's, patches, pins, socks: too many to count!
Funklub member: 13394 (waited a few years into collecting to go ahead and join)

Exodus989

Postby Exodus989 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

ejcurtis115 wrote:
w00tw00t wrote:
ejcurtis115 wrote:

I tried the alcohol pad on one and it made the spot hazy, afraid to try it on another:/

Yeah I’ve read a couple posts from people saying the alcohol makes the window cloudy
Exodus

Exodus989

Postby Exodus989 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

ejcurtis115 wrote:
w00tw00t wrote:
ejcurtis115 wrote:

Yeah I’ve read a couple posts from people saying the alcohol makes the window cloudy
Exodus

Sam25

Postby Sam25 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:21 pm

d3postman wrote:
Sam25 wrote:I wish I knew repairs were possible before I just bought again. My kids were happy about it.

Right?! I spent a lot of money with replacing instead of repairing...especially after my nephew would visit...

Yes. Sometimes I just use it as an excuse to buy more. I should look into this more though.

Boymom4

Postby Boymom4 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi there...I have a Tom and Jerry 20" wacky wobbler and Tom's hand has come loose and unglued. He's holding Jerry in this hand so there is extra weight. Any recommendations for a good sturdy glue?

Return to “Pop!”