Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
pop_jumper

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby pop_jumper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:27 pm

commodorefunko wrote:I know I've read it before, but how do you remove a non-bobble's head? Boil it or something? My Gizmo rattles like crazy and it's really bugging me. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Boiling water, then letting your pop sit in it for a few seconds (if the water is kept boiling) or a minute or two (if removed from heat), making sure the area where the neck meets the head is submerged should loosen the glue on the neck plug.

Without complicating my explanation more, keep that area warm and gently tug on the body and head. The neck plug should loosen. If not, run some hot water over it/submerge it again. The vinyl should be warm and malleable, but not hot to the touch. Good luck, and pm me if you need more explanation, I've done tins of head swaps and the like :D
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 345
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Scarif Trooper
100th POP! : Custom CW Blue Lantern Flash
200th POP! : Darth Maul
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)
GRAIL(S): Bart Simpson/Chase Flash

Mystery Minis: 30

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

People disappoint, but POP!s don't. :D

goonerette

Postby goonerette » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:31 pm

My Rose Tyler has some glue on her hair on the back of her head. Any good tips on how to get it off?
My name is Brenna, but you can call me Bee if you'd like :)
FunKlub Member #12371 since 03/15/16
Pop count: 163
Doctor Who: 34 / Harry Potter: 38 / Star Wars: 34 / Other: 57
First Pop: Eleventh Doctor (mop & fez) Latest Pop: Ren & Stimpy set

Lost

Postby Lost » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:13 pm

a couple pops I have, have glue on face. for example my Heisenberg has a glue ring all along the rim of his hat on his forehead. any chance this is normal or common? possibly even fixable (doubt it)? or should it be returned if possible? thx for any tips on this!

TurboBacon

Postby TurboBacon » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:25 pm

Anyone know how to remove those little glossy (glue?) spots on the pant?

*edit* I see its just not me.

Undies

Postby Undies » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:48 pm

So I bought Elizabeth Bennet online, and the paint on her hair is awful. What is a good way to clean it off? also the grey blob on her arm needs to get removed too.

J_Melon

Postby J_Melon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:01 am

Undies wrote:So I bought Elizabeth Bennet online, and the paint on her hair is awful. What is a good way to clean it off? also the grey blob on her arm needs to get removed too.

There are two ways I've taken care of this. The first is a good ol' magic eraser. Mr. Clean magic erasers are handy for minor paint splotches. With a couple swipes and scrubs I've cleaned up a lot of my pops. Now the other way is a bit more difficult and risky, but guaranteed to work. I keep a can of acetone for when the paint(or glue residue) is real thick. I take a small paint brush. Dip it in the acetone and VERY lightly and CAREFULLY stroke over the paint splotches until they lift from the plastic. Then dip the pop into warm water to get it all off. This method is tough because if the paint is on a piece that is already painted, then you have a strong risk of stripping all the paint. So I only recommend this for areas where it is clearly the color of the pop and not paint. Anything else? Magic Eraser.

thejosh2010

Postby thejosh2010 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:48 am

Undies wrote:So I bought Elizabeth Bennet online, and the paint on her hair is awful. What is a good way to clean it off? also the grey blob on her arm needs to get removed too.

Looks like her scalp is sweating under her wig...causing the brown shoe polish to run out of her wig and down her head :roflmao: Where you live at that it's so hot this time of year pal!? =P~
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia :freddy1:

Undies

Postby Undies » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:47 am

@J_Melon I already tried using a magic eraser and it didn't work at all :'( . My mother suggested nail polish remover, but I don't want to wreck the pink skin paint so I'm just gonna have to ignore the bad paint haha! .... Thanks though XD

@thejosh2010 Australia is too damn hot!! But putting up with the heat means Popcultcha gives me free postage :P ...

J_Melon

Postby J_Melon » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Undies wrote:@J_Melon I already tried using a magic eraser and it didn't work at all :'( . My mother suggested nail polish remover, but I don't want to wreck the pink skin paint so I'm just gonna have to ignore the bad paint haha! .... Thanks though XD

Well from the looks of it, If done carefully you should be able to take off the spots without ruining the blush... but hey, good luck to ya man!

Lost

Postby Lost » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:23 pm

anyone know how to get what looks like some sort of sticky residue with some dirt and grime stuck in it off a funko pop box, the cardboard part? i have a couple that have this, i don't like it and would be great if i could get it off!

any tips would be great!

alex_dewitt

Postby alex_dewitt » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:25 pm

Okay, here's some weird question: John Diggle finally hit Europe and of course he comes with an UT Exclusive Sticker. Now, is there any way of removing the sticker from the box without residue? I know this might sound strange to some of you, wanting to remove a sticker, but I just can't see these UT stickers anymore. They put them on every single exclusive POP! here and I'm fed up, so I decided I'd rather have my John Diggle with a nice and clean box.

I would try a hairdryer but I'm worried it might be too hot and the box would warp.

I appreciate any tips. ](*,)

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Lost wrote:anyone know how to get what looks like some sort of sticky residue with some dirt and grime stuck in it off a funko pop box, the cardboard part? i have a couple that have this, i don't like it and would be great if i could get it off!

any tips would be great!

Will be tough on the cardboard part. I would take maybe a piece a tape and try to dab were the leftover sticker residue is and see if it pulls any of it up. Maybe could try lil bit of soap on a towel and gently rub it. Both risk removing part of actual box though. I am sure someone has better ideas.
2012 Rookie of the Year

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:15 pm

alex_dewitt wrote:Okay, here's some weird question: John Diggle finally hit Europe and of course he comes with an UT Exclusive Sticker. Now, is there any way of removing the sticker from the box without residue? I know this might sound strange to some of you, wanting to remove a sticker, but I just can't see these UT stickers anymore. They put them on every single exclusive POP! here and I'm fed up, so I decided I'd rather have my John Diggle with a nice and clean box.

I would try a hairdryer but I'm worried it might be too hot and the box would warp.

I think hair dryer is best, just keep it a good distance away from the window, just needs to be warmed slightly to loosen the sticker glue.
2012 Rookie of the Year

thejosh2010

Postby thejosh2010 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:43 pm

Jango_Fresh wrote:
alex_dewitt wrote:Okay, here's some weird question: John Diggle finally hit Europe and of course he comes with an UT Exclusive Sticker. Now, is there any way of removing the sticker from the box without residue? I know this might sound strange to some of you, wanting to remove a sticker, but I just can't see these UT stickers anymore. They put them on every single exclusive POP! here and I'm fed up, so I decided I'd rather have my John Diggle with a nice and clean box.

I think hair dryer is best, just keep it a good distance away from the window, just needs to be warmed slightly to loosen the sticker glue.

Just have a good pointed knife readily available to get under the edge of the sticker & then a pair of tweezers to get a hold of it :-) All close to grab while it's warm
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia :freddy1:

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:49 am

Magic eraser
Last edited by poppetmaster on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gh0st

Postby gh0st » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:49 pm

Great read and definitely helpful! Was always wondering a good method to clean some of the Pops off.
NEED MORE FREDDY!!!

Lost

Postby Lost » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:25 pm

does anyone know if what seems to be some sort of paint residue on the screen can be cleaned off? the pop was loose in box and its face seemed to have rubbed against the screen quite a bit. the screen now looks foggy and is bad. anyway this might be fixed?

S_E_R_G_I_O

Postby S_E_R_G_I_O » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:53 am

Good advice
:freddy3:

swaynomics930

Postby swaynomics930 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:24 pm

I might buy an unmasked Ant-man but he has a small spot of silver paint on his face. Iwould like to know if I can remove it and with what before I commit to buying it.

Sonmi451

Postby Sonmi451 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:00 pm

Caius_Cosades wrote:
Rozureido wrote:Anyone have any ideas to help fix discolored vinyl? My zero is turning yellow at an alarming rate:

Hmm, I've never had a POP turn colors on me before. Do you or someone you live with smoke inside the house? If so that could be the cause. Cigarette smoke has a tendency to stain light colored objects yellow. I can't imagine why else your POP would be doing that unless maybe you've been exposing it to alot of sunlight (and even then I'm not sure it'd have that effect).

As for how to reverse such a discoloration, I'm sorry to say that I have no clue. Hopefully someone more experienced here will have an answer.

My flocked Ghost from Game of Thrones is doing the same thing. It's always been kept in a smoke-free, windowless room. I know that isn't advice, but at least you're not alone.

How to Get Pop!s with Warped/Uneven Feet to Stand
Take little felt feet that are meant for the bottoms of potentially scraping decor, cut them to fit the figure's heel or toe, and press on the felt until both feet are effectively flat. Works like museum putty but dust won't stick to it and the Pop! is easier to move around when desired.
Truth is singular. Its versions are mistruths.

Flynn47

Postby Flynn47 » Tue May 17, 2016 3:22 am

I received my first Freddy for signing up to the Funko Funklub and was gutted when he got to me because the 'Pop' word decal was not stuck on flat but had folds and ripples through it (like an accordion). I had no choice but to scrape it off in the hope that I could do something with the blank speech bubble, but I haven't been happy with anything I've tried and just wish it said Pop! like its supposed to.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how they might fix this? Can you print your own decals?

Thanks!
'Find what you love and let it kill you'

Cryptic Thought

Postby Cryptic Thought » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:50 pm

I've read through this and seen questions about paint many times but no responses. What is a good black paint to touch up eyes?

I actually want to fix a Mystery MIni, but I'm thinking their probably similar.
I'm Jon
ISO: Pascal, Meeko, Rajah MMs

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:44 am

Cryptic Thought wrote:I've read through this and seen questions about paint many times but no responses. What is a good black paint to touch up eyes?

I actually want to fix a Mystery MIni, but I'm thinking their probably similar.

I've touched up a few scratched eyes with a simple black permanent marker. It is a little noticeable close up, but blends in nicely from a couple feet away.

Cryptic Thought

Postby Cryptic Thought » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:11 pm

Quazimoto wrote: I've touched up a few scratched eyes with a simple black permanent marker. It is a little noticeable close up, but blends in nicely from a couple feet away.

I read online that people use acrylic paints for DIY pops so I may invest in an acrylic pen. Best of both worlds? Maybe? I think the mark bothers me more because his eye more than anything else. I may wait to see other people's experience with repairing a bad paint job.

Here's the MM.

I'm Jon
ISO: Pascal, Meeko, Rajah MMs

sushiguru

Postby sushiguru » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:54 am

ive read the same thing

mactds

Postby mactds » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Thanks for this thread. Just stumbled on it.

I recently got a lot of 8 loose figures shipped to me. One has a black cape, and another with a brown hat now has black marks scuffed on the hat. I tried a magic eraser, and nothing happened? Any other ideas?

LatinFunko

Postby LatinFunko » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:43 am

Good tips.
Image Image Image Image Image :wwe5:

Tickles

Postby Tickles » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:28 am

Thanks for the tip on fixing warped items and swords. Those little bends have been bugging me forever

CaseyJones14

Postby CaseyJones14 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:29 am

I also used the sword trick last night and grayscale Leonardo was very happy about the change :D
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram

richisdisturbed

Postby richisdisturbed » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:12 am

I've managed to sort a couple of my Pops, thanks to this thread. Is it possible to fix flocked Pops the same way, or are different methods required?

My flocked Snoopy Pop came today but it has a little speck of red paint just under his collar on his fur, can I just color over that & it'll look okay? I don't want to experiment incase I ruin him! :(

thanks for any help!
INSTAGRAM @richisdisturbed
POP! (6inch) : 72 (5/72)
POP! Rides : 2
1st : Alien (Aliens)
50th : Gizmo (Gremlins)
100th :
Latest : Red, White, & Pink Action Pose Power Rangers
Fav POP! : Ted (Flocked) (Ted 2) & Scooby Doo (Flocked)

Kwiksilverpop

Postby Kwiksilverpop » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:05 pm

Great tips for all sorts of issues definitely coming back to this thread when I need fix a pop!
Pop! Count: 326; Mystery Minis Count: 49; Wacky Wobblers Count: 10
Dorbz Count: 4; Funko Force Count: 3
ISO: Star Wars LE Wobblers, Blue Box Greedo, Clone Trooper Freddy
ImageImageImage

LevisRoom

Postby LevisRoom » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:01 pm

I've noticed POP's (bobbleheads) have a tendency to tilt toward one side after a while on the shelf. Anyone have some tips to prevent this from happening since on some it gets pretty bad. Or, is this just a risk you take when you display out of the box?

funkopopsrock

Postby funkopopsrock » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:46 pm

I admit I was playing with DGs head when he all off the sudden he went all bad excercist on me!!!'

Edit I may of fixed him

Jen:fan of funko pop tv and music
pops and other collections instagram: Jencollects
Funko Funklub member 8/1/16 :freddy1:

Katers

Postby Katers » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:07 am

Wouldn't even have occurred to me to try to fix one of my pops - thanks for letting me know it was possible!

Kati

Postby Kati » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:52 pm

I just got the stay puft marshmallow man and it has some spots where the white kind of shines funny. Like it is mostly matte and theres this shiny stain on his forehead and around his mouth. Some small black dots on it. Any ideas? It shows quite a lot under light. :/ Might be glue or someone's dirty hand of some product when put him in the box.

I tried nail polish remover (not acetone tho, cus I need to buy some - bit scared that it will go all stained tho) with no luck. Soap ofc did not fix it.

Kati

Postby Kati » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Sonmi451 wrote:
Caius_Cosades wrote:
Rozureido wrote:Anyone have any ideas to help fix discolored vinyl? My zero is turning yellow at an alarming rate:

Hmm, I've never had a POP turn colors on me before. Do you or someone you live with smoke inside the house? If so that could be the cause. Cigarette smoke has a tendency to stain light colored objects yellow. I can't imagine why else your POP would be doing that unless maybe you've been exposing it to alot of sunlight (and even then I'm not sure it'd have that effect).

As for how to reverse such a discoloration, I'm sorry to say that I have no clue. Hopefully someone more experienced here will have an answer.

My flocked Ghost from Game of Thrones is doing the same thing. It's always been kept in a smoke-free, windowless room. I know that isn't advice, but at least you're not alone.

How to Get Pop!s with Warped/Uneven Feet to Stand
Take little felt feet that are meant for the bottoms of potentially scraping decor, cut them to fit the figure's heel or toe, and press on the felt until both feet are effectively flat. Works like museum putty but dust won't stick to it and the Pop! is easier to move around when desired.

Have they been close to a heater or lamp? Iv not had this problem with Pops but other white things around house.

FunkoLuver89

Postby FunkoLuver89 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:21 pm

Any tips on straightening small or tiny pieces on mystery and/or pop protos? Scared I might over-do it...
pops: 12 | minis: 40 | pop protos: 17 | mini protos: 35 | hikari: 1 | freddy vinyl: 4

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:43 pm

Undies wrote:@J_Melon I already tried using a magic eraser and it didn't work at all :'( . My mother suggested nail polish remover, but I don't want to wreck the pink skin paint so I'm just gonna have to ignore the bad paint haha! .... Thanks though XD

@thejosh2010 Australia is too damn hot!! But putting up with the heat means Popcultcha gives me free postage :P ...

it really depends on the size of the paint error. Usually a paint error is just a little spot rather than a good, thick coat, so using nail polish remover (in very limited quantities) can take off just the thin paint spot and not the thicker correctly applied paint.
Image ImageImage
POP: 62
Pint Size Heroes: 20