Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
kyle725

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby kyle725 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:35 pm

karlamaye wrote:Will it snap back to place once I'm done? I'm scared I would damage the spring :crybaby:

If you don't want to use a plier, you can wear a good pair of gloves and push with your thumb. I found the spring can dig into your bare finger causing some discomfort. Sometimes it does get stuck so I use pliers and I haven't broken any with pliers yet.

If your main concern is the head tilt, you can stuff cotton balls between the spring loop on one side to adjust the head tilt. I've been using really strong magnets to artificially bring the spring loop close together and get the head tilt angel how I like it for the display. This has the added benefit of making the head "magnetized" so things stick to the pop's head which works well for Dr. Doom or Magneto.

berrymonster

Postby berrymonster » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:49 am

Funko box clear window plastic have some dent? Is it possible to use hair dryer to heat glue to remove clear window plastic?

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:55 am

karlamaye wrote:
MadLove wrote:
karlamaye wrote:I have a problem with my Loki Pop :(

When I first took it out the box, it couldn't stand and kept falling over. So I googled a repair for it and I found that twisting the head at least one full twist should do the trick. It did. But now Loki looks like he's looking down, kinda sad Loki. How do I put him back to his normal head angle? It couldn't be twisted back, and I'm also scared to remove the head entirely because I might not be able to put him back to one piece.

Halp :(

Use a pair of pliers to turn it back the other way. The spring has a hook in the end that pushes against the plastic-you need to essentially lift the end of that hook up very slightly so it doesn't catch.

Will it snap back to place once I'm done? I'm scared I would damage the spring :crybaby:

Yes as long as you lift the spring and don't bend it. It'd take some serious force to bend it though-they're pretty sturdy.

ISO: Classic Harley Quinn Dorbz proto, Jareth, Ludo and Worm color protos, Silver Harley Quinn POP

ScarletWitch_

Postby ScarletWitch_ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:22 pm

Hard to get a good picture, but is there anything I can do to touch up this scratch mark on my metallic C3PO?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Amy.

Pop count • 132

Instagram • amycln

Dupree721

Postby Dupree721 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:37 pm

Hey all!

Just a quick paint repair question. I received my Conan O'Brien POP that I ordered and everything on him is pristine except he has a glob of excess paint in his hair and is missing a small piece of hair paint in another spot that I want to fix. What would you guys recommend to smooth out that surface and also what kind of paint would you recommend to repair? I have used paint pens for messed up eyes in the past, but for the hair and color I am not sure. Thanks in advance guys!

Barryyyyy

Postby Barryyyyy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:29 am

HuffRhuff wrote:Has anyone out there found a way to polish out fine scratches off window boxes? I have a few DC chases that have scratched up windows...novice sticker removals. Thanks

I actually just saw this and don't know if it'll work but it's worth a shot: I had a friend who worked in jewelry repair and taught me a trick for fine scratches on the clear cover over the faces of watches. With a cloth, rub toothpaste(the white kind....not gel)all over the clear surface making sure to go over the scratches well. Then take a clean cloth and buff the toothpaste off. The scratches should disappear. I've done this with watches and reading glasses(not prescription lenses though).
Hi! I'm Barry

Instagram: barryyyyy_mac

Pop! Count: 111
Mystery Minis: 61
Dorbz: 25
Wobblers: 11
Spastiks: 10
Funko Force: 1
Vinyl Idolz: 1
Man, I FINALLY have Mr. Peabody! :freddy3:

MrBear

Postby MrBear » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:24 pm

Does anybody know what type of adhesive to use when attaching plastic to something flocked? I received a Tink and the feather from his hat is disconnected. There is a square shaped indentation where the feather is supposed to be attached. You can tell it was held together by some type of glue.

My Funko collection
ISO: Aswang (Orange), Kappa, Siyokoy, Gitd Ghost Godzilla, Tossakan, and Hobgoblin.

BrassPlushie

Postby BrassPlushie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:44 pm

288792887728875[albumfull]28876[/albumfull] so this is how my Beast Pop came today, and I'd like to fix him if I can, Amazon said I can get a replacement but I hate wasting stuff... SoSo suggestions please?

emcee

Postby emcee » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:44 pm

My Star-Lord has been bugging me for a while. I currently have a toothpick wedged from his chin to the spring, but he's still very forward in his lean. I posted a picture of him in his natural state, where his head is tilted very far forward, and can BARELY keep balance. Slightest table bump sends him tipping. I've tried using upwards of 6 cotton balls and can't get it to sit properly. Anyone else have any other suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: 190
ISO: Dark Phoenix, Simpsons (minus Bart)

geoff2005

Postby geoff2005 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Question regarding changing the box plastic screen.

whats the best way to remove it and transfer it onto another box? also the best glue to glue the plastic onto the other box

emcee

Postby emcee » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Not sure about your transfer, but I used a normal glue gun to fix a loose screen

chenzo0325

Postby chenzo0325 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Great tips thank you :-)

HarleyQuinnDan

Postby HarleyQuinnDan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:31 am

Regarding a DIY custom. I was painting on the matte varnish finish and a brush hair came loose and is now varnished on.

Any ideas to remove this without taking off the paint? I was thinking of painting over it but can you paint over a matte finish?
Latest Pop! - The Arrow unmasked / The Flash unmasked / The Black Flash
And then... Heisenberg (2015 Summer Convention)

Flash3612

Postby Flash3612 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Nice!!!

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:51 am

berrymonster wrote:Funko box clear window plastic have some dent? Is it possible to use hair dryer to heat glue to remove clear window plastic?

I have always wondered this as it would help fix a major problem for my pink ranger box.
Signed Pops:35
MM: 67
Pops :148
First Pop: Iron Man MArk 43
Most Recent: Metallic Green Ranger
Top Pop: SDCC Regina
ImageImageImageImage

Tdogg2k8

Postby Tdogg2k8 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:18 pm

is this the right section to ask how people are doing the custom Unmasked with helmets half open??
Anthony
Funko Pop count: 77
First Pop: Jamie Fookin Lannister
Best Pop: SDCC Parka Helena, Skeletor
Last Pop: Bane
ISO: Rares:
Sonic, Knuckles, Leoniodas, Phoenix, Alan and baby Carl, Flocked Lion-o, GITD Mumm-ra, Dr. Doom, Red Skull , Maskless Winter Soldier Captain America, Apollo Creed, Clubber lang

chaenilok

Postby chaenilok » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:49 am

Tdogg2k8 wrote:is this the right section to ask how people are doing the custom Unmasked with helmets half open??

Think you're after this subforum: viewforum.php?f=63
Hi, I'm Chaeni.
Marvel Pops: 181 | Other Pops: 62 | ISO: Black and White Captain America (#6), Metallic Captain America (#6) | Unattainable Grails: Heimdall Freddy, Deathstroke Freddy

pop_jumper

Postby pop_jumper » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:33 am

Would using a Magic Eraser gently remove all the smeared black paint off a Spider-Man (the comic book version that ALWAYS has a bad paint job)? Or would that damage the red coloring as well?
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 346
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Hoth Leia, Scarlet Spider
100th POP! : Custom CW Blue Lantern Flash
200th POP! : Darth Maul
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)
GRAIL(S): Bart Simpson/Chase Flash

Mystery Minis: 30

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

People disappoint, but POP!s don't. :D

PaoMac

Postby PaoMac » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:06 am

hi how can i fix drogon's tail and foot? i fear that if i put his whole body in boiling water his tail might fall off.
also does putting him in hot water make the feet malleable? i think it's too thick to be malleable. help will be much appreciated.
FIRE AND BLOOD

pop_jumper

Postby pop_jumper » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:21 am

pop_jumper wrote:Would using a Magic Eraser gently remove all the smeared black paint off a Spider-Man (the comic book version that ALWAYS has a bad paint job)? Or would that damage the red coloring as well?

Answered my own question. Using the Eraser does not remove all the paint, but it doesdamage the red vinyl, and will leave faint white scuffs.
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 346
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Hoth Leia, Scarlet Spider
100th POP! : Custom CW Blue Lantern Flash
200th POP! : Darth Maul
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)
GRAIL(S): Bart Simpson/Chase Flash

Mystery Minis: 30

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

People disappoint, but POP!s don't. :D

Bartjeuhh

Postby Bartjeuhh » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:22 pm

PaoMac wrote:hi how can i fix drogon's tail and foot? i fear that if i put his whole body in boiling water his tail might fall off.
also does putting him in hot water make the feet malleable? i think it's too thick to be malleable. help will be much appreciated.

The tail is supposed to be like that: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=60145

For the feet: just do the hot water trick, mine went well ;-)

PaoMac

Postby PaoMac » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:12 pm

Bartjeuhh wrote:
PaoMac wrote:hi how can i fix drogon's tail and foot? i fear that if i put his whole body in boiling water his tail might fall off.

The tail is supposed to be like that: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=60145

For the feet: just do the hot water trick, mine went well ;-)

Oooh nice to know, i thought mine was damaged. Thank you! The dragons were from the hbo exclusive(says on the back) 3 pack. I used a hair dryer for the feet and held them in the position i want until it cooled down. It worked! Now im fixing all the bent swords. Thank you! [-o<
FIRE AND BLOOD

FourSeason

Postby FourSeason » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:04 am

I have two questions about repairing Pops. Does anyone ever have a bent Funko Pop? Like the face looks sunken or the face was pushed down? If so, is there a way to fix it? The second question is does anyone have recommendations for restoring the paint? Some of my Funkos' eye paint are messed up.

WendyWho

Postby WendyWho » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Does anyone have a suggestion for touching up eye paint? I have a Hipster Jasmine that I got last week, but never really took a good look at her. Her eyes are.. wonky? Aside from the glasses looking crooked to me, the eye paint is messed up. It looks like the skin color and black for the eyes sort of bled together and it has this "fuzzy" look to it. Has anyone successfully touched up eye paint, and can share how they did it? She was up on the shelf where I couldn't reach her, so I asked one of the guys at my HT to get it down for me. They asked if I collect, then said "I'll pick out a good one for you!" so I didn't look real closely at her. It was only when I went to stick her in a POP protector today that I noticed the weird eye paint.

I've never even taken a POP out of the box before, so I'm really nervous about trying any DIY. I'm thinking a heat gun might work to bend the glasses into a straighter position, but I'm wondering if they look crooked because of the eye paint. Any help would be super appreciated! :D
Hello! My name is Shae! :D

*Forever Seeking Disney!*
http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/member/wantlist/shae/R3X3D9WE1NW9CNWA/

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:47 am

About how long should I hold the arm of a POP in place after boiling? i've got a BMO POP who's arm is sitting around his middle area instead of waving like it's supposed to. I've already tried boiling it and holding it in place a couple of times now, but every time I leave it be for a bit the arm sets itself back down(albeit REALLY slowly). On another note, even after cooling it underneath an air conditioner and letting it set for about an hour, the arm feels a bit softer and more malleable than it did before, I haven't ruined it have I?

Spiffythedog

Postby Spiffythedog » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:00 am

I could also use some advice on eye paint. Found a black (fear) Kratos at GameStop and the paint on his eyes isnt very solid in some places.
You can call me Spiff ;)

Currently hunting for these Funkers: WG TWD Dorbz Chases | Rick & Morty HT Exc Minis | GS Bloody Xenomorph
I'm happy to help international collectors get US Store exclusive POPs at cost! PM me

bo150000

Postby bo150000 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:55 pm

Spiffythedog wrote:I could also use some advice on eye paint. Found a black (fear) Kratos at GameStop and the paint on his eyes isnt very solid in some places.

Would also be interesting in a good brand of paint and where to buy it for both black and white eyes.

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:21 pm

Ok, hoping someone can help with this one. My Finn POP has this crease in the paint (looks like a paint scab) on his forhead, how should I go about fixing it? Or am I better off leaving it alone. Thanks in advance for any advice!

spinn4

Postby spinn4 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:44 am

emcee wrote:My Star-Lord has been bugging me for a while. I currently have a toothpick wedged from his chin to the spring, but he's still very forward in his lean. I posted a picture of him in his natural state, where his head is tilted very far forward, and can BARELY keep balance. Slightest table bump sends him tipping. I've tried using upwards of 6 cotton balls and can't get it to sit properly. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I was thinking to use zip ties, maybe two, in order to hold springs together and cut off the excess that'll stick out. I've never tried it before, just an idea.

Pop88addicted

Postby Pop88addicted » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:29 pm

Any suggestions on how to loosen a pop whose head is stuck and can't move/rotate like normal pop heads? Not a major issue, but would like it to function normally.

emcee

Postby emcee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:06 am

Jeggy wrote:Fixing a bent spring for the bobbles.

Fixing the spring if the head is tilted is actually easy. I just fixed one for the first time this past weekend and I did it in a few minutes.

The head unscrews very easily and it is actually the spring that is coming off from the body. If you have difficulties make sure the little bend at the tip of the spring isn't carving it's way into the stem. Simply push that part with your finger or move with needle nose pliers. Once it is unsnagged it will come off with ease.

Now as for getting the spring out the head. It helps greatly if you have needle nose pliers, your fingers work too but it might prove to be very difficult. Any who simpley find the bent tip of the spring and push that counter clockwise. The tip will be the part of the spring furthest up the head. This basically loosens the spring, and should now be able to just twist out.

Take a look at the spring and look for where the bend in the rings is. I do this by looking at the spring as perfectly straight as I can and look for the ring in the spring that is causing it to not look straight. Use the needle nose to pinch that ring, and slowly bend in the opposite direction until it looks as if the spring has straightened.

Putting the spring back on is the easiest part. First twist the spring on the neck of the body. Remember the skinny part goes on the neck. Next twist on the head making sure to that you apply it straight. The direction it is facing doesn't matter. Next twist the head until you reach the desired bobble. The head does not get twisted all the way as it will not bob and the head will look very close to the body if you do so.

That's it.

I found this a little confusing. I had a few POP!s that had their heads tilted too forward. So here's what I did.

I unscrewed the heads off. I then stretched out the spring from inside the head, and then I used my fingers and/or needle nose pilers to adjust the larger spring ring. What I mean by that is there is the thin spring set that twists onto the body peg, and then there's a larger ring set after that. The first large ring after the small ring set is what I found to be the best one to bend to my liking.

jlnorris1215

Postby jlnorris1215 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:38 am

EvilStewie1 wrote:
emcee wrote:My Star-Lord has been bugging me for a while. I currently have a toothpick wedged from his chin to the spring, but he's still very forward in his lean. I posted a picture of him in his natural state, where his head is tilted very far forward, and can BARELY keep balance. Slightest table bump sends him tipping. I've tried using upwards of 6 cotton balls and can't get it to sit properly. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

I was thinking to use zip ties, maybe two, in order to hold springs together and cut off the excess that'll stick out. I've never tried it before, just an idea.

I actually had to do this with my Hulkbuster! Worked like a charm with just one zip tie!! Will probably do it with my Star Lord as well, his head is awful.
Pop Count: 163
Favorite PoP: SDCC Headless Hershel Greene & NBC Mayor, Zombie Conan
First PoP: Daryl Dixon
Most recent PoP: Papa Legba and Rubber Man

emcee

Postby emcee » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:55 am

jlnorris1215 wrote:I actually had to do this with my Hulkbuster! Worked like a charm with just one zip tie!! Will probably do it with my Star Lord as well, his head is awful.

Not sure about your Star Lord but mine was the peg on his body. It was leaning way too far forward. Had to put the head spring way behind center to compensate.

WendyWho

Postby WendyWho » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Has anyone ever tried replacing the plastic window on a pop? I found a really good deal on eBay, but there's a crease right in the front of the plastic window (hence, the great deal). #-o I'm wondering if I can maybe use a heat gun to loosen the glue or whatever is holding the window on there, and do a transplant with another box's window?
Hello! My name is Shae! :D

*Forever Seeking Disney!*
http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/member/wantlist/shae/R3X3D9WE1NW9CNWA/

thejosh2010

Postby thejosh2010 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:51 am

Excellent idea posting this thread!! Curious..how does one post a thread on the forum here?? I've never done it....
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia :freddy1:

Rozureido

Postby Rozureido » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:56 am

Anyone have any ideas to help fix discolored vinyl? My zero is turning yellow at an alarming rate:

Caius_Cosades

Postby Caius_Cosades » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:08 am

Rozureido wrote:Anyone have any ideas to help fix discolored vinyl? My zero is turning yellow at an alarming rate:

Hmm, I've never had a POP turn colors on me before. Do you or someone you live with smoke inside the house? If so that could be the cause. Cigarette smoke has a tendency to stain light colored objects yellow. I can't imagine why else your POP would be doing that unless maybe you've been exposing it to alot of sunlight (and even then I'm not sure it'd have that effect).

As for how to reverse such a discoloration, I'm sorry to say that I have no clue. Hopefully someone more experienced here will have an answer.

thejosh2010

Postby thejosh2010 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:06 pm

You must display OOB..i can't imagine how the POP could be exposed to sunlight on the top of its head in the box!?
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia :freddy1:

Rozureido

Postby Rozureido » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Yes I display out of the box, though they are all kept in a closed-door glass cabinet. My apartment is non-smoking, though my building isn't. I grew up with two parents who chain-smoked, so I am familiar with nicotine staining and this isn't consistent with what I have seen before. None of my other white pops have this issue. Zero does seem to be made out of softer vinyl. I don't know if that makes a difference.

commodorefunko

Postby commodorefunko » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:11 pm

I know I've read it before, but how do you remove a non-bobble's head? Boil it or something? My Gizmo rattles like crazy and it's really bugging me. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jonas is the name, Pops are my game

Current POP Count: 299! I want to get something special for 300!+ 9 Mini/Pocket Pops
Current Dorbz/Pint Sized Heroes Count: 20ish
Current Mystery Mini/Idolz/Hikari/Mini Hikari Count: 20

ISO: Any color/white Masters of The Universe, X-Files, Twin Peaks, LOST, Stranger Things, Mr T, and Star Wars protos!!

Return to “Pop!”