Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
mcKenziii_starK

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby mcKenziii_starK » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:16 am

I have a Pop that has faded paint. Is there a way to fix it?

Hi. I'm Kirstie. Nice to meet you.

Image Image Image Image Image

VinylPhil

Postby VinylPhil » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:38 pm

AnthonyLou81 wrote:Has anyone ever done ironing on a box? Any tips?

There is a youtube vid on how to iron game boxes, might work out for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RynK8-SwvUI
But I would be carful of the window, it could melt to welt. Use a low setting to start. Good luck!

twirdman

Postby twirdman » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:43 am

I've already done some repairs to my pops and I'm just curious if I ever decide to sell them, doubtful I love my funkos, should I say that repairs have been done to them and do you guys think it would lower the value of the pop?

TheJiggliestPuff

Postby TheJiggliestPuff » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:50 pm

Okay, so I know there is a big problem with Chip from the Mrs. Potts & Chip set turning yellow over time. But....I was recently at a Barnes and Noble were they had a full shelf of this set. I don't have these figures and wanted to buy one but I didn't. EVERY SINGLE CHIP WAS YELLOW. Already. Sitting in the box. Every. single. one. I sat there and went through each one looking for a non-yellow chip but couldn't find one. Is it normal for Chip to come already yellow in the box? Does that mean they have had those lying around for a while? :(

booboo79

Postby booboo79 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:52 pm

Can't stress enough how helpful this guide has been in my two years of collecting. Thanks everyone for all your insight, advice, contributions!
Hi! My name is Charlie :freddy3:

vellybelly

Postby vellybelly » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:00 am

MadLove wrote:Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.
My POP has marks on it or the wrong paint in the wrong spot.
A Magic Eraser (the kind for household cleaning) or a q-tip with acetone based nail polish remover used gently on the spot work well. Be careful not to use too much though or you will remove all the paint!
My POP has a bent sword, arm, foot, etc. (also works for Legacy figures with stuck joints)
For something thin like a sword, run it under a hair dryer until the vinyl is flexible. Hold it straight until it cools. For something thicker like a foot or arm, boiling it in water will make the vinyl soft enough to bend and reshape. Careful, it can get mighty hot!
My POP is too top heavy and keeps falling over
Museum Putty is great for anchoring top heavy POPs

Have some tips of your own? Questions? Add them here. (Hey mods, would it be possible to make a sticky for this? Pretty please?)

Thank you. My Maz Kanata Pop :eek: is top heavy and I am going to try the museum putty.
Hi, my name is Virginia ;-)

Lost

Postby Lost » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:43 pm

I have a few pops where the stickers are barely holding on, anyone know what type of glue is best to keep them put? also a few pops I have with a corner sticking out more than normal, seem to be coming apart on the side completely, anyone know what type of glue is best to use on the box inself to hold it together again? thanks!

gospeedracer

Postby gospeedracer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:12 pm

TurboBacon wrote:Anyone know how to remove those little glossy (glue?) spots on the pant?

*edit* I see its just not me.

Maybe try goo be gone and a q-tip

dubbelaar

Postby dubbelaar » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:02 am

I got the mutley mean machine from pop in a box.But it came with the window a little messed up.Is there a way to smooth the window a little bit

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:05 pm

I usually leave my Pops the way they are. But if there's a slight smudge on a Pop, then I try to gently clean it with a soft cloth.
I love pigs, Pokemon, and Gothic women. <3

28/Male/Chinese

My "shameful" secret is that I have a soft spot for the Maiden in Black from Demon's Souls.

I'm searching for Alice Pops and Dorbz.

post31

Postby post31 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:38 pm

The eraser tip is a real diamond. Thank you so much for that.

kpacheco

Postby kpacheco » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Just got my TT Darkest Night Batman in, and the paint is messed up. I doubt if they can replace it so, does anyone know of the correct color to try and touch up the paint? Image

emcee

Postby emcee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Anyone have tips on how to compress the spring in the head? It's too stretched out and I can see Mystique's whole neck.
Collecting since 2013 (Jon Snow)
POP! Count: 171

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:35 pm

emcee wrote:Anyone have tips on how to compress the spring in the head? It's too stretched out and I can see Mystique's whole neck.

Had one with a similar "giraffe" like neck look. What worked for me was using a small needle-nose pliers and twisting the head spring left and right as you pull downward slightly so it lowers on the neck peg.

emcee

Postby emcee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:10 pm

Quazimoto wrote:
emcee wrote:Anyone have tips on how to compress the spring in the head? It's too stretched out and I can see Mystique's whole neck.

Had one with a similar "giraffe" like neck look. What worked for me was using a small needle-nose pliers and twisting the head spring left and right as you pull downward slightly so it lowers on the neck peg.

Where on the spring would I grab? More on the narrow part that goes on the neck? Just after the neck? Middle inside the head or end at the head?

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:25 am

emcee wrote:
Quazimoto wrote:

Where on the spring would I grab? More on the narrow part that goes on the neck? Just after the neck? Middle inside the head or end at the head?

Grab the part that attaches to the neck peg. You shouldn't have to squeeze to hard on the pliers. Not hard enough to break the peg, just enough pressure to grab onto it and sort of wiggle it down lower. Probably best to do it from the back of the figure. I also wrapped a washcloth around the body of the Pop!s to prevent accidental scratches if the pliers slipped. Go slow and steady and they probably won't, but better safe than sorry.

emcee

Postby emcee » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:57 pm

Quazimoto wrote:
emcee wrote:
Quazimoto wrote:

Grab the part that attaches to the neck peg. You shouldn't have to squeeze to hard on the pliers. Not hard enough to break the peg, just enough pressure to grab onto it and sort of wiggle it down lower. Probably best to do it from the back of the figure. I also wrapped a washcloth around the body of the Pop!s to prevent accidental scratches if the pliers slipped. Go slow and steady and they probably won't, but better safe than sorry.

If you meant to twist the spring lower onto the thread like a screw, I can't. It's already at the bottom. I need to do some kind of spring bending.

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:30 pm

emcee wrote:
Quazimoto wrote:
emcee wrote:

If you meant to twist the spring lower onto the thread like a screw, I can't. It's already at the bottom. I need to do some kind of spring bending.

Yeah, that's basically what I was getting at. I had to twist the one of mine that had a problem below the threaded part of the neck peg. Not much, but a little so that the head sat lower on the neck.

S_E_R_G_I_O

Postby S_E_R_G_I_O » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:10 am

Tnx for tips, they can come in handy
:freddy3:

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:26 pm

[quote="vellybelly"][quote="MadLove"]Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.
A Magic Eraser (the kind for household cleaning) or a q-tip with acetone based nail polish remover used gently on the spot work well. Be careful not to use too much though or you will remove all the paint!
My POP has a bent sword, arm, foot, etc. (also works for Legacy figures with stuck joints)
For something thin like a sword, run it under a hair dryer until the vinyl is flexible. Hold it straight until it cools. For something thicker like a foot or arm, boiling it in water will make the vinyl soft enough to bend and reshape. Careful, it can get mighty hot!

Bingo!!! I'm glad I found this thread because I have a Proto with glasses that are bent off center ... now I know how to fix them.Thanks and 3 cheers for the help! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

pauly20powers

Postby pauly20powers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:25 am

There are a lot of great tips in here. Thanks everyone!

FunkoJoeSuper

Postby FunkoJoeSuper » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:17 pm

With all of the box and paint flaws, I'm pretty much at the point now where I just leave them alone knowing that the reality is there are rarely flawless pieces to be found. I might fill in an eye here and there if it's black, but even that I've cut back on. We can drive ourselves crazy over all of these flaws so now I just try to enjoy the fact that I have the figure rather than stressing over what might be wrong with it.

These are all great tips though for people who just can't live with the flaws. I used to be like that until recently. At almost 1,000 pieces, there are bound to be many with flaws in my collection.
Current Stats
Newest: Michael Corleone (FYE Exclusive)
First: Sharknado
Highest Valued (According to PPG & Covetly): Biggs Darklighter
Count: 987
Funko Collecting Since 2013
http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/memb ... ZNXHBV3KB/

AngLuvsPop

Postby AngLuvsPop » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Anyone ever had to do Pop repair after a drone incident? LOL-DH had to repair Rey (her staff broke when she fell) after he was flying his drone and hit her. Luckily, it repaired pretty easily, and I can't even tell, but the bookcase is officially a no-fly zone!
Ang
Instagram: @Angology

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:02 pm

Has anyone successfully removed the window off the Pop box without it tearing paper from the box? I was able to replace the window on my Peter Parker and glued it back on ok, but there was still paper attached to the window after I removed it from another box.
:freddy2:
300 Pops, 10 Keychains, 21 Minis, 39 Dorbz
Collecting since 2015: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

FunkoETC

Postby FunkoETC » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:18 am

MadLove wrote:Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.

Have some tips of your own? Questions? Add them here. (Hey mods, would it be possible to make a sticky for this? Pretty please?)

I really appreciate this. I can't believe I saw this now and this post has been here for years! #-o My Finn with a light saber looks like he's holding a balloon sword instead of a light saber. lol

PBreezey

Postby PBreezey » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 pm

The head on my baby Groot bobblehead has fallen off. The glue is in a big glob and is actually sliding off of the platform where it attaches to the inside of the head.

Any recommendation?

Return to “Pop!”