Basic DIY Funko "repair"

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
MadLove

Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby MadLove » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:15 am

Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.
My POP has marks on it or the wrong paint in the wrong spot.
A Magic Eraser (the kind for household cleaning) or a q-tip with acetone based nail polish remover used gently on the spot work well. Be careful not to use too much though or you will remove all the paint!
My POP has a bent sword, arm, foot, etc. (also works for Legacy figures with stuck joints)
For something thin like a sword, run it under a hair dryer until the vinyl is flexible. Hold it straight until it cools. For something thicker like a foot or arm, boiling it in water will make the vinyl soft enough to bend and reshape. Careful, it can get mighty hot!
My POP is too top heavy and keeps falling over
Museum Putty is great for anchoring top heavy POPs

Have some tips of your own? Questions? Add them here. (Hey mods, would it be possible to make a sticky for this? Pretty please?)

ISO: Classic Harley Quinn Dorbz proto, Jareth, Ludo and Worm color protos, Silver Harley Quinn POP

singapop

Re: Basic DIY Funko "repair"

Postby singapop » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:29 am

Good idea for putting this thread up. I know a lot of people have been wondering on how to fix their pops.
Hi! I'm Patrick
Pop count:
Game of Thrones: 19
Walking Dead: 18
Misc: 5

jandkstuff

Postby jandkstuff » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:38 am

Great thread!!! This will definitely come in handy. :-)
Hi, I'm Karyn! Nice to meet you. :-)

Blake85

Postby Blake85 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:15 am

Yeah magic eraser works wonders especially on white pops with markings
Follow me on instagram @popwars and @gojirawars

King_in_the_North

Postby King_in_the_North » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:27 am

Great thread idea :)
Hey I'm Joe! Pop! Count=10 First Pop!=Ned Stark

Jeggy

Postby Jeggy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 am

Fixing a bent spring for the bobbles.

Fixing the spring if the head is tilted is actually easy. I just fixed one for the first time this past weekend and I did it in a few minutes.

The head unscrews very easily and it is actually the spring that is coming off from the body. If you have difficulties make sure the little bend at the tip of the spring isn't carving it's way into the stem. Simply push that part with your finger or move with needle nose pliers. Once it is unsnagged it will come off with ease.

Now as for getting the spring out the head. It helps greatly if you have needle nose pliers, your fingers work too but it might prove to be very difficult. Any who simpley find the bent tip of the spring and push that counter clockwise. The tip will be the part of the spring furthest up the head. This basically loosens the spring, and should now be able to just twist out.

Take a look at the spring and look for where the bend in the rings is. I do this by looking at the spring as perfectly straight as I can and look for the ring in the spring that is causing it to not look straight. Use the needle nose to pinch that ring, and slowly bend in the opposite direction until it looks as if the spring has straightened.

Putting the spring back on is the easiest part. First twist the spring on the neck of the body. Remember the skinny part goes on the neck. Next twist on the head making sure to that you apply it straight. The direction it is facing doesn't matter. Next twist the head until you reach the desired bobble. The head does not get twisted all the way as it will not bob and the head will look very close to the body if you do so.

That's it.

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:10 am

Sweet!! Thanks for the tips Jeggy! I'm sure that'll will be good info for all the Marvel and Star Wars fans out there!
(And thanks to whichever mod made this a sticky!)

ISO: Classic Harley Quinn Dorbz proto, Jareth, Ludo and Worm color protos, Silver Harley Quinn POP

case

Postby case » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Is there a gallery or maybe yt channel that show the steps? And the items of the repair kit.
Steven
IG: funkoverse
ISO: Overwatch protos
ImageImageImage

Queen of Marvel

Postby Queen of Marvel » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:20 am

Love this thread! Great idea Claire!
Jeanne. The Queen of Marvel.

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:00 pm

case wrote:Is there a gallery or maybe yt channel that show the steps? And the items of the repair kit.

Not that I'm aware of but that's a good idea for us visual-types. I'll totally work on that over the next few weeks. No promises for a video but I can definitely do step-by-step photos.

case

Postby case » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:00 pm

MadLove wrote:
case wrote:Is there a gallery or maybe yt channel that show the steps? And the items of the repair kit.

Not that I'm aware of but that's a good idea for us visual-types. I'll totally work on that over the next few weeks. No promises for a video but I can definitely do step-by-step photos.

Awesome Madlove! Thanks for taking on the task if I get good at repairs I will take a stab at it. I was thinking of starting with the kits that folks use for D&D figurines those little die-cast ones.
Steven
IG: funkoverse
ISO: Overwatch protos
ImageImageImage

irrab

Postby irrab » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:53 pm

MadLove wrote:Seems like these questions have been asked a lot lately.
My POP has marks on it or the wrong paint in the wrong spot.
A Magic Eraser (the kind for household cleaning) or a q-tip with acetone based nail polish remover used gently on the spot work well. Be careful not to use too much though or you will remove all the paint!
My POP has a bent sword, arm, foot, etc. (also works for Legacy figures with stuck joints)
For something thin like a sword, run it under a hair dryer until the vinyl is flexible. Hold it straight until it cools. For something thicker like a foot or arm, boiling it in water will make the vinyl soft enough to bend and reshape. Careful, it can get mighty hot!
My POP is too top heavy and keeps falling over
Museum Putty is great for anchoring top heavy POPs

Have some tips of your own? Questions? Add them here. (Hey mods, would it be possible to make a sticky for this? Pretty please?)

Just seen this thread. thanks for posting it. Some great tips in there i will use :D
Hi, I'm Jon from the UK.

Isaac_226

Postby Isaac_226 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:05 pm

With magic eraser i can remove the little paint flaws? I have a White Walker that have a little red line on his head i can remove that with the magic eraser? Or will remove all the paint?

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Wed May 07, 2014 11:21 pm

Isaac_226 wrote:With magic eraser i can remove the little paint flaws? I have a White Walker that have a little red line on his head i can remove that with the magic eraser? Or will remove all the paint?

Use it gently and sparingly and you should be fine.

mxrcus

Need help with bobblehead spring.

Postby mxrcus » Thu May 22, 2014 5:08 am

Hey all, I've just did my first funko custom bobblehead. But sadly the head is a little higher than the normal one. I bought it this way. I really want to keep this piece for my own as it is my first, but Is there a way to fix the spring. Here is a picture of his head. Notice its a little sideways and it's sticking up higher than the normal proper bobble head. If there is any tutorial or hopefully can anyone help? Would really appreciate.

Funko Pop! Fan16

Postby Funko Pop! Fan16 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 am

Never been in here Claire, very nice! I may have to try the magic eraser, I have a green spot on the bottom left hand side of my Stay Pufts head... The eraser will get that off righ?
Jonathan is HERE!
ImageImageImageImage

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Thu May 22, 2014 11:38 am

@wrhmx you can bring the spring lower by using a small pair of pliers to twist it further onto the neck. Hopefully that works or you may need to adjust it inside the head which would require pliers and maybe even heating it since that part tends to be glued. I would probably use a heat gun (or a really good hair dryer may do the trick) rather than boiling it because of the paint job. I've only played around with springs a few times. Others may have better ideas (Eddie/Jango_Fresh does a lot of Marvel customs. He may be able to help)

phoeblue

Postby phoeblue » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:36 pm

Any tips for fixing a bookmark? My Mickey's head fell off when I was taking it out :/ I think it's pretty much a goner though.

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:32 pm

phoeblue wrote:Any tips for fixing a bookmark? My Mickey's head fell off when I was taking it out :/ I think it's pretty much a goner though.

Aside from super glue or apoxy I can't think of what could fix that. That's definitely a new one

funkopopsrock

Postby funkopopsrock » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:38 pm

About a month ago my Despicable me Carls arm came off any idea how to fix it?
Jen:fan of funko pop tv and music
pops and other collections instagram: Jencollects
Funko Funklub member 8/1/16 :freddy1:

phoeblue

Postby phoeblue » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:50 pm

MadLove wrote:
phoeblue wrote:Any tips for fixing a bookmark? My Mickey's head fell off when I was taking it out :/ I think it's pretty much a goner though.

Aside from super glue or apoxy I can't think of what could fix that. That's definitely a new one

Yep, I ended up buying a couple new ones, a Tink and a Mickey again. When I got them though the heads were a lot sturdier than my original, so I think I just got a faulty one at first and had nothing to compare it to!

warm0041

Postby warm0041 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Thanks for the thread! I have a couple of pops that are top heavy that I have to lean back against something or they fall forward.

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:45 am

funkopopsrock wrote:About a month ago my Despicable me Carls arm came off any idea how to fix it?

It probably just needs some glue.

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:47 am

warm0041 wrote:Thanks for the thread! I have a couple of pops that are top heavy that I have to lean back against something or they fall forward.

Museum putty is a popular choice. It won't stain or leave residues on the POP or shelf.

FairestOfThemAll

Postby FairestOfThemAll » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:52 am

I have a Cinderella who took a tumble in an earthquake a few months ago and needs a drop of paint on her forehead. I hope I can match the color.

trix0525
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby trix0525 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:27 am

Great thread! This will be very useful! Thanks for bringing this up.
-Trixie Lee-
COTM 03/15, ROTY 2015

MadLove

Postby MadLove » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:29 pm

FairestOfThemAll wrote:I have a Cinderella who took a tumble in an earthquake a few months ago and needs a drop of paint on her forehead. I hope I can match the color.

Good luck! I find using a burnt sienna or peach color with white, red and blue added as needed works well. I'd maybe test it on the back if the neck or base of head to make sure it's the right color before applying it to somewhere more conspicuous.

FairestOfThemAll

Postby FairestOfThemAll » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:28 pm

MadLove wrote:
FairestOfThemAll wrote:I have a Cinderella who took a tumble in an earthquake a few months ago and needs a drop of paint on her forehead. I hope I can match the color.

Good luck! I find using a burnt sienna or peach color with white, red and blue added as needed works well. I'd maybe test it on the back if the neck or base of head to make sure it's the right color before applying it to somewhere more conspicuous.

Thanks for the tip MadLove! :razz:

naisatoh

Postby naisatoh » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 am

Great thread! Already put into good use!
Hello. My name is Vince and I am a Funkaholic.

Weighty

Postby Weighty » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:12 am

Thanks for the info! Need to go and find myself a magic eraser from the supermarket.
Hi i'm Brad

48 Exclusive POPs! :D

Check out my Instagram I post lots of toy photography: 'Chewpotter'

kessho

Postby kessho » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Thank you for this! My unmasked Star-Lord arrived with paint all over his face and ear, but after finding this thread I fixed him with your tips.
I'm Elizabeth

bo150000

Postby bo150000 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Magic Eraser has saved me so many times, but I have a few POPs that may need some Paint Touchup (eyes, hairlines, etc.).

Perhaps, this isn't a basic repair question; but does anyone have a recommendation on what to you for touch up painting?

BigDogW

Postby BigDogW » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:42 pm

Not sure if anyone has asked this but my flocked ghost has a dent in it from the box does anyone know a way to fix it
BDW out

Bartjeuhh

Postby Bartjeuhh » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:28 pm

BigDogW wrote:Not sure if anyone has asked this but my flocked ghost has a dent in it from the box does anyone know a way to fix it

Maybe a picture would help?

And thanks for the Magic Eraser tip ('melanine sponge'): it works great! :razz:

toothless stuffy

Postby toothless stuffy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:32 pm

My gamora pop has a problem I think with her head. She keeps leaning forward and when I look inside it seems that the spring isn't completely lined up how it should. Any help would be appreciated

dakook

Postby dakook » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:37 pm

toothless stuffy wrote:My gamora pop has a problem I think with her head. She keeps leaning forward and when I look inside it seems that the spring isn't completely lined up how it should. Any help would be appreciated

Try sticking cotton balls inside of the head
ImageImage
Baxter

BlackWidow

Postby BlackWidow » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:38 pm

Does anyone recommend any acrylic paint color to use for Stitches chest? He's the first Funko I received and he has a chipped paint on his chest that needs to be touched up.
My Name Is: Bobby
American Horror Story Pop's: 10/10
Walking Dead Pop's: 2/52
ImageImage

allonsy_slayergirl

Postby allonsy_slayergirl » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:22 pm

This is an amazing thread! Love the DIY help around here! I don't have any POPs in need of fixing, except for maybe a few paint errors, but this will be a great thread to come back to in case I run into a problem!

Thanks! :)
Lauren - Instagram: @allonsy_slayergirl
Collecting since 2012

BlueberryWaffles

Postby BlueberryWaffles » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:13 pm

My Star-Lord (masked) is looking to the left. Any way to get the head straight?
Total Pop count: 60
First Pop: Green Lantern
Most recent Pop: BB-8
Grail: SDCC 2014 exploding Stay Puft (GITD version)

allonsy_slayergirl

Postby allonsy_slayergirl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:26 pm

The "frozen" Anna I purchased will not fit on her stand! Any ideas??
Lauren - Instagram: @allonsy_slayergirl
Collecting since 2012

Return to “Pop!”