I'm starting a new funko collection

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
LYutuf

I'm starting a new funko collection

Postby LYutuf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm

So I'm really excited about starting a new collection of Funko Pop! and I was thinking on starting one of the same character.
I've been looking and the character with most funkos is Batman (I think), followed (not in order) by others like Deadpool or Harley.

So I'm here to ask you, community: Which characters have more Funko Pop! of themselves?
And, between them, which is the most fun to collect?

Thank you all for your contribution!
Last edited by LYutuf on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaseyJones14
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Re: I'm starting a new funko collection

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Batman will always have the most variants so the answer is always Batman.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend collecting a specific character because they have the most items though - just collect something you really like.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Freddy Dorbz proto

JoeJoe88

Postby JoeJoe88 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Yeah, I could see that getting boring kinda fast. I would at least pick a series to collect for some variety. I'm not judging or trying to be critical, just my two cents. Good luck and have fun!

tholin

Postby tholin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:39 pm

Yeah collecting a single character can be a bit frustrating and boring in the process. Also, if you want a wide range of pops for one character then you will most porbably end up with Batman/Superman, etc. Those characters have a lot rare and old pops taht are quite pricey and hard to find. So in other words you will either spend a ton of money for a complete set since you are starting now or you will end up with half a colelction.

My advice would be to start with a franchise that you like (maybe some small) and build from there. To me, it is always better to have a variety of pops on your shelves

Sarcasticguy

Postby Sarcasticguy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Good luck if you decide to go for Batman complete, it's a pretty grueling process.

On that note, definitely collect what you love! It will make the whole experience that much better.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

willy wonka

Postby willy wonka » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:46 pm

some of my collection is all of the same character so good luck. This can be hard for certain characters.

I have to agree with everyone I think Batman has the most variants.
Just call me Joe...

ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Metallic Mad Hatter Wobbler, SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz

FunkoETC

Postby FunkoETC » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:46 pm

LYutuf wrote:So I'm really excited about starting a new collection of Funko Pop! and I was thinking on starting one of the same character.
I've been looking and the character with most funkos is Batman (I think), followed (not in order) by others like Deadpool or Harley.

So I'm herr to ask you, community: Which characters have more Funko Pop! of themselves?
And, between them, which is the most fun to collect?

Thank you all for your contribution!

This is amazing. There will be times it can get boring bec the character you’re collecting doesn’t get new molds but if you’re having fun and collecting what you love, there’s no stopping you!!!!
The name is Albert :freddy3:
Amateur Toy Photographer - IG - FunkoETC
Collecting Star Wars - Disney - TMNT - Marvel - and most Freddy's I can get my hands on
ISO - Vanellope & Ralph From Wreck it Ralph

valorandvellum
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby valorandvellum » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:48 pm

Batman is fun because he has some fancy outfits. But yeah, trying to get some of the more rare stuff might have you pulling out your hair or ripping up your wallet. Haha
Hi, I'm Priscilla! Need a signature badge?

LYutuf

Postby LYutuf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:00 pm

But is there any other tinier collection that might be also fun to collect? Just looking for other funkos appart from batman ^^

tholin

Postby tholin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:15 pm

LYutuf wrote:But is there any other tinier collection that might be also fun to collect? Just looking for other funkos appart from batman ^^

I am using an app on my iphone called PopsPedia, where you can find all the pops out there also categorized by franchise. So you can pick from there what you like, add them to your wishlist (also good for keeping track ofthe value) and start hunting.

https://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/ is also an excellent source of information for the current (and previous) pop lines

MyLittleFunkos
HOF2016
HOF2016

Postby MyLittleFunkos » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:20 pm

I tried to collect all the Batmen and it was fun at first but then it just became too much. As much as I love Batman, buying every variant became quite the task. Maybe you can try for Iron Man. Much less, but still enough to keep you busy for a while. If you're curious, I'm biased.

Maybe pick something you really like (TV show, comic book, movie) and start from there. Don't rush into starting a line just because there's a lot of them or because they might be perceived as "cool." Best thing you can do is collect something that might pique your interest.
I'm Abe

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Honestly I would just go with a character that you really like. If you want to narrow it down and keep it fun I'd go with a character that doesn't have a ton of Pops already, or at least not a lot of vaulted, rare or super expensive ones. For me, at least it is more fun to hunt for things that have a possibility of still being in stores rather than just relying on ebay or other sales sites. Maybe go with a character from a recent movie or one that is coming out soon? I know for me I started collecting Wonder Woman when I first started. At the time there was only 1 rare con exclusive of her and 1 chase and the other 5-6 or so of her were pretty easy to find at stores. Then i just kept up with it when things were released and have managed to stay Wonder Woman complete so far :) If you want the fun of the hunt I'd go with a newer character, but if you have a lot of money to throw at it, sure Batman or Batgirl or any of those with crazy rares would make a great collection.
Hi, I'm Merri!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Rex Mason

Postby Rex Mason » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 pm

I've been a Batman fan for most of my life, so I only collect Batman Pops and Bat-related Pops (villains, sidekicks, etc.).

I have to disagree that collecting just one Pop is boring. I think it makes for an awesome display (out of the box, of course). I actually don't like the new Batman molds or other bat-characters as much as I like getting Pops of Batman in his original mold. There's something really fun about seeing the little bat-army all lined up.

I have 200 Batman related Pops at the moment (only missing 19 for a complete collection). 83 of those are Batmen.

Strending625

Postby Strending625 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:01 pm

LYutuf wrote:But is there any other tinier collection that might be also fun to collect? Just looking for other funkos appart from batman ^^

If you are trying to stay Bat-centric but are looking for a smaller line, Batman the Animated Series is a good place to start. Also DC bombshells is a really great line with unique pops without a ton of pops out yet. I love Stranger Things and if you are patient with buying them you can usually find a great deal on the commons and chases. Like a lot of people will tell you, collect what you love. It's easy when you first start collecting to buy everything at once. I've found that 2 years and 600+ pops later it's easier to pick a few lines that I really love and collect those. :)
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol
Dorbz: 100+
Newest pop: Walmart Princess Leia
ISO: DT MALEFICENT DRAGON!!!
Pink T-Bone, BTAS Ladies, Chase Him, Darth Vader Mini Hikari (gold, clear), White Raven (huge Grail)

Njtree_82

Postby Njtree_82 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Like everyone said Batman. As far as starting a collection. Only get the ones you like. I mean the ones you like. Not cause everyone else like them. Hop on the hype train for some exclusive pop. Last week how everyone became a Krampus fan... Seriously.

As for me I am 80% starwar and few other randoms in the mix cause enjoy movie, character, show, etc etc...

Be nice it will actually get you far in the funko world.
85 funko pops
-2 chases

StarWarner

Postby StarWarner » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:05 pm

It's totally fine to pick a character you love and try to get every Pop or Funko item of that character. I have done that with several characters. You just may have to be okay with the idea that you may never have ALL of them. I collect Harley Quinn. At one point I had every Harley Pop Funko made. Then they made a LE144 silver Harley as an incentive gift for Hot Topic employees. It's a Harley I will probably never have one in my collection, but I have almost every other Harley (minus a few minis and a wobbler). I'm okay with that. If you love a character or a franchise go for it! Make it a priority for your collection but also manage your expectations.
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ISO:
Maleficent Dragon Pop Proto & Rock Candy Proto
Harley Quinn PSH & Rock Candy Protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or MM protos

Classier

Postby Classier » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 pm

If you're a Marvel fan, try going with Spider-Man. Contrary to what everybody else thinks, he has the most POPs out of any Marvel character- not Deadpool. And I'd also say that the Spidey POPs have a greater range in designs and colors compared to Deadpool. Not saying that Deadpool POPs are bad, though.

Jezter

Postby Jezter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Everyone else has pretty much already said what I would say, more or less.

I can say the only characters I try to get all of are Superman and Wolverine. I missed out on a lot of earlier pieces but the only ones I seem to lack now are hard to get ones, which thankfully is pretty rare.

I'd say if you want to choose a singular character to collect instead of a line you like or pops that mean something to you, then look around on the forum, on Instagram and maybe Pop Price Guide and see what is out there and what has the amount of pops in the range you are thinking. There are quite a bit in between the Batman to something new range, so be patient and you'll figure it out. :D
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 380
Dorbz: 31
Mystery Minis: 31
Vinyl Idolz: 1
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Pop Needs- Original Logan, Unmasked Wolverine, Nick Fury, 12th Doctor Space Suit, Twisty Freddy, Ghost Rider Freddy, any Phoenix Pop, Chase Green Goblin, Laser Gun Freddy
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm

If you're gonna spend all that time and money collecting one character, make sure it's one you REALLY like. That's my only advice.
ImageImage
I'm Julian. GO BUCKEYES!!
ISO: DARKWING DUCK MYSTERY MINI

imdustin6

Postby imdustin6 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:42 pm

There's always that 1 or 2 that eludes you....very frustrating....At first, I'm like "I'll just get all the troopers in star wars. Oh yeah? what about shadow trooper?....ohhhhhh ok I'll get all Spidey.....oh wait...nevemind....I've learned to live incomplete at this point lol

Platinum Hits

Postby Platinum Hits » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:20 pm

I think going for a handful rather then just one character might be better as I'm sure the more you get the longer it will take to find specific ones so for instance you could be waiting on a batman next week and today you could be looking for a superman. There's nothing worse if you like to be actively and continuously collecting then waiting around for an off chance your specific character comes around. Goodluck with whatever you go for batman is a great choice having seen how many get released \:D/

Rex Mason

Postby Rex Mason » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm

StarWarner wrote:It's totally fine to pick a character you love and try to get every Pop or Funko item of that character. I have done that with several characters. You just may have to be okay with the idea that you may never have ALL of them. I collect Harley Quinn. At one point I had every Harley Pop Funko made. Then they made a LE144 silver Harley as an incentive gift for Hot Topic employees. It's a Harley I will probably never have one in my collection, but I have almost every other Harley (minus a few minis and a wobbler). I'm okay with that. If you love a character or a franchise go for it! Make it a priority for your collection but also manage your expectations.

Yeah, as a Batman collector the Harley and Batman silver incentives were when I realized I really wouldn't be able to get them all. I've been collecting since the beginning, so the early rare Batmen were easy for me to come by before all the Funko hype. When they pulled that Hot Topic employee exclusive stunt, I got much more relaxed about collecting. I passed on the crazy priced blue chrome Batman, for instance. A Pop's not as special to me if it wasn't actually from a comic, TV show, or movie. Those are variants I can live without if I have to.

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:32 pm

Batman definitely has the most. Welcome to the group!! It is a fun experience and enjoy every minute of it. Collecting just one character can be costly and tedious process though so keep that in mind.
Fundays 2016 - Team Vader
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

angeladominguez

Postby angeladominguez » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Good luck with Batman! There are a ton of variants! It's doable but can get pricey! Just collect what you like! :)
Hey! I'm Angela! Collector of all the things! Team Buy All the Freddys! Buy all the dorbz!
:love6: Member of The Funko Couple with Sergio Tamez aka S_E_R_G_I_O on the boards. ♡

ImageImage Image

booboo79

Postby booboo79 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:57 pm

Collect what you love, don't feel pressure to be a completionist, and take them OOB to appreciate the artistry :)
Hi, I'm Charlie!
Instagram: @CharlieRestreps
Collection: https://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/mem ... 819WEZFWW/

alienfeast

Postby alienfeast » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Flash POPS ! The line isn't that large and there's around 20 of them I think. Plus there's a large variety of characters, most of them consisting of the same mold. Ex: Flash tv, flash comics, blue and white lantern flash, black flash, reverse flash, and so on. A few of them Like the gitd white lantern flash, flash chase, and unmasked flash are a bit expensive, but still it's $150 or less. The majority of the other flash POPS should be $30 or less so it won't be costly to get, but it'll still be a bit of a challenge. That's my opinion because I love flash lol Up to you though, going for series looks sweet as well :freddy2:
Pop Count: 140
Current Wishlist: Dark Phoenix, Reverse flash :bounce:
Finished Lines: Original Funko Line

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:34 pm

I think that the character with the most POPs might actually be Freddy, but a complete Freddy collection would probably costs upwards of $20,000, supposing that holders of the some of the super rare ones would offer them up and some will probably never reach the secondary market, like Carol's Collector of the Decade Freddy. Batman is definatley the character with the second highest number and a complete Batman collection would probably cost about $5000, supposing that you skip the Batman Freddys. If you avoid Batman POPs costing over $100, it would probaby be less than $2000.
ImageImageImageImage
POP: 98
Pint Size Heroes: 33